Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Mini Digger - recommended brands or models (or those to avoid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Mini Digger - recommended brands or models (or those to avoid)

Hi,
    We're planning to get a used mini digger, for use around the house and grounds for landscaping, ditching, drain and pipe laying etc. This would be for jobs where our Massey Ferguson 50B digger is too big, too awkward or does too much damage. I'm looking for some suggestions about makes to look for or two avoid. In particular it's going to be probably a 20 year old machine so would like something where parts would be available or could be made or adapted to fit. Any comments would appreciated.

Thanks, Tony S

Replying to my own thread - couple of models that crop up are JCB 801.4 and Kubota KX36. So any comments on those two options would be appreciated. Just looking at the specs the Kubota seems to have a less powerful engine. I may be able to see a couple of options in the flesh later this week but wanted to get some background before hand. There seem to be lots of threads on the JCB on here, I don't know if that's because they're popular/commonplace (which is good) or because they have lots of problems (not so good).

Comment

Get a JCB 8018 - they have the expanding undercarriage which makes them safer with the tracks out wide and goes into the same width as a 8014. They also have slightly more power than a 8014 too. I have owned 3 and they have been great machines!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Expanding tracks would be good, however I think that's going to be outside my budget though. At the moment the options I have on offer are either an older (I guess mid '90s) Kubota KX41 with simple canopy (not even a cage), or a couple of JCB 801.4 for a bit more than I was hoping to have to pay but a newer machine with fully glazed cab.

Comment

Forgot to add, I'm struggling to find comparison between KX41 of that age, and KX36 and/or other Kubota 1.5 tonners. I think I would be right in thinking that KX41-2 and KX41-3 are later generation models which don't necessarily have anything in common. However I also see references to KX041, is that the same as KX41 or different?

Comment

Every one will give you a different answer, I prefer Kubota myself.. better resale value for a start
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
              Every one will give you a different answer, I prefer Kubota myself.. better resale value for a start
              Thanks. Any issue with parts availability for older Kubotas? I see people offering service manual so hopefully I'd be OK for general servicing operation, grease points and fluids etc. But I suppose I'd been thinking that a new JCB might be better both for parts and for technical information. The Kubota I'm looking at is a KX41, not a KX41-2 or a KX041. Similar to this but with a canopy supported only by two uprights... https://www.machinerytrader.co.uk/li...93-kubota-kx41

Comment

Originally posted by aesmith View Post
                Thanks. Any issue with parts availability for older Kubotas? I see people offering service manual so hopefully I'd be OK for general servicing operation, grease points and fluids etc. But I suppose I'd been thinking that a new JCB might be better both for parts and for technical information. The Kubota I'm looking at is a KX41, not a KX41-2 or a KX041. Similar to this but with a canopy supported only by two uprights... https://www.machinerytrader.co.uk/li...93-kubota-kx41
                I had loads of the 41s and a few 36 's pretty bomb proof had an odd slew gear failure on some 41's but that was it .. parts are still ok I think but dont quote me as I havent had to buy any lately, but Kubota used to be good at supporting legacy products
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks. Well I've shaken hands on the KX41 and should be collecting it this evening. Fingers crossed. I tried two other minis in the same sort of price range and this was the one I liked the best. Looking at the specs I think it has slightly more power than some others of that size. Kubota D1105 engine, which coincidentally takes the same fuel filter as our boat.

Comment

Working...
                  X