Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15B expanding tracks

Evening folks

First time poster so please be gentle with me!

I have a Volvo EC15B with the tracks that can expand to give a wider track base - or at least they used to. Didn't use the facility for a couple of months and now it does not seem to work.

I am 'lifting' the machine on the dipper arm and dozer blade and then pressing the relevant button/switch for the tracks to expand. The change in engine pitch suggests it is trying to do something, but nothing happens.

Current thinking is to try 'assisting' the carriage with either a suitably sized sledge hammer or hydraulic jack.

However, before doing this I would be grateful if someone could please confirm:

1 Which track is supposed to move out first?
    2 Is there a known/likely cause for this other than just 'taking a set'?
    3 Any other suggestions as to what I should be trying?

The machine has also started to boil the coolant after about 20 minutes but I think I have traced that to a fubarred water pump - fingers crossed anyhow!

Many thanks

Originally posted by waterbuoy View Post
    Evening folks

First time poster so please be gentle with me!

I have a Volvo EC15B with the tracks that can expand to give a wider track base - or at least they used to. Didn't use the facility for a couple of months and now it does not seem to work.

I am 'lifting' the machine on the dipper arm and dozer blade and then pressing the relevant button/switch for the tracks to expand. The change in engine pitch suggests it is trying to do something, but nothing happens.

Current thinking is to try 'assisting' the carriage with either a suitably sized sledge hammer or hydraulic jack.

However, before doing this I would be grateful if someone could please confirm:

1 Which track is supposed to move out first?
    2 Is there a known/likely cause for this other than just 'taking a set'?
    3 Any other suggestions as to what I should be trying?

The machine has also started to boil the coolant after about 20 minutes but I think I have traced that to a fubarred water pump - fingers crossed anyhow!

Many thanks
    try lifting it a side at a time/over the side, so one track is held and all the pressure is going to just the one track ??
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Thanks Druid

I've tried that but with no joy. This is partly why I want to know which track is supposed to move sideways first - ie so I can then sit on the 'dormant' track and focus on the relevant one first of all.

Managed to find the manual for this machine on the forum last night - all 660 pages of it - so am currently working my way through that.

PS Spent an entertaining hour or so last night looking through your lengthy thread/blog about all things druid

Comment

Thanks Druid

I've tried that but with no joy. This is partly why I want to know which track is supposed to move sideways first - ie so I can then sit on the 'dormant' track and focus on the relevant one first of all.

Managed to find the manual for this machine on the forum last night - all 660 pages of it - so am currently working my way through that.

PS Spent an entertaining hour or so last night looking through your lengthy thread/blog about all things druid
        vague recollections that I put that manual up some time ago ....

you must be a fast reader Boyo .... glad it entertained you ... I try to please .... keeping it up is erratic at times
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

It will be a failed or non existant solenoid that controls the expansion ram .. sits on the same block that controls the double speed tracking .. theres one solenoid for each
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks Muz

Now you mention it, the double speed tracking is fubarred as well. (It was all working when I last used the machine - honest)

Out with the meter tomorrow me thinks

Comment

Thanks Muz

Now you mention it, the double speed tracking is fubarred as well. (It was all working when I last used the machine - honest)

Out with the meter tomorrow me thinks
              sounds like an earth issue perhaps, with both having gone down ?

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                sounds like an earth issue perhaps, with both having gone down ?
                Sealed plug connectors Druid .. usually they just melt ...............
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                  Sealed plug connectors Druid .. usually they just melt ...............
                  both together ?? ..... they've gotta be earthed some where Muz ? ... take it they're Ovlov's own, not DINs

Comment

both together ?? ..... they've gotta be earthed some where Muz ? ... take it they're Ovlov's own, not DINs
                    They dont blow fuses or anything when they 'go' they just self destruct

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                      They dont blow fuses or anything when they 'go' they just self destruct
                      still find it odd that they went U/S together though Muz ...... I bow to your superior knowledge though Boyo

Comment

still find it odd that they went U/S together though Muz

I didnt mean that exactly, although they do sit right ontop/beside each other so when one overheats as they do, it affects the other, or, .. if you've caught the first one failing,early enough some people just fillet it and only leave the other service working. Not sure how they were wired, but they are isolated .

That machine could be ordered as fast speed travel only, meaning just one relay, and/or XTV which has expanding tracks and fast speed travel.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion caused here chaps:

The expanding tracks failed a while ago, but the variable speed tracking stopped working just last week.

Am currently awaiting delivery of a new water pump to hopefully solve the overheating issue (which is stopping me from using the machine) before then looking at the other two issues. Meanwhile I am trying to find a source for the solenoids so I am suitably prepared.........

Before anyone says that I bought a pup, it was all working when I bought the machine 3 years ago, since when it has lived here on the west coast about 40m from the sea. This can be brutal on things like plant, trailers etc

Comment

Nah were just having a natter about the barstewards .. worth doing a lot of reading here about them .. is it really overheating (blowing out steam) or just a false shut down caused by a commonly faulty sensor and ECU ?

Comment

Blowing out steam from the expansion tank, at which time the water starts to bubble - so deffo overheating. Engine keeps on running OK as I have caught it when it starts to steam (thus far). SWitch off, leave to simmer for c. 20 minutes, top up water again and then might get another 6-8 minutes before steam restarts.

Squeal from what I thought was the belt when the engine is running has been traced to the water pump - almost exactly the same noise as we get from a failing water pump in our boat engines (which is sadly all too common)

Thermostat seems to work OK as per maintenance/repair/service manual specs and water pump is rough as the proverbial. Only time will tell if my diagnosis (of this issue) is correct.

Muz - can you please point me to where the solenoids might be located?

Many thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X