Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Volvo EC15B expanding tracks

  1. #1
    New Start
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Argyll
    Posts
    5

    Volvo EC15B expanding tracks

    Evening folks

    First time poster so please be gentle with me!

    I have a Volvo EC15B with the tracks that can expand to give a wider track base - or at least they used to. Didn't use the facility for a couple of months and now it does not seem to work.

    I am 'lifting' the machine on the dipper arm and dozer blade and then pressing the relevant button/switch for the tracks to expand. The change in engine pitch suggests it is trying to do something, but nothing happens.

    Current thinking is to try 'assisting' the carriage with either a suitably sized sledge hammer or hydraulic jack.

    However, before doing this I would be grateful if someone could please confirm:

    1 Which track is supposed to move out first?
    2 Is there a known/likely cause for this other than just 'taking a set'?
    3 Any other suggestions as to what I should be trying?

    The machine has also started to boil the coolant after about 20 minutes but I think I have traced that to a fubarred water pump - fingers crossed anyhow!

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Fabrication Guru +1 v8druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbuoy View Post
    Evening folks

    First time poster so please be gentle with me!

    I have a Volvo EC15B with the tracks that can expand to give a wider track base - or at least they used to. Didn't use the facility for a couple of months and now it does not seem to work.

    I am 'lifting' the machine on the dipper arm and dozer blade and then pressing the relevant button/switch for the tracks to expand. The change in engine pitch suggests it is trying to do something, but nothing happens.

    Current thinking is to try 'assisting' the carriage with either a suitably sized sledge hammer or hydraulic jack.

    However, before doing this I would be grateful if someone could please confirm:

    1 Which track is supposed to move out first?
    2 Is there a known/likely cause for this other than just 'taking a set'?
    3 Any other suggestions as to what I should be trying?

    The machine has also started to boil the coolant after about 20 minutes but I think I have traced that to a fubarred water pump - fingers crossed anyhow!

    Many thanks
    try lifting it a side at a time/over the side, so one track is held and all the pressure is going to just the one track ??
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

  3. #3
    New Start
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Argyll
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Druid

    I've tried that but with no joy. This is partly why I want to know which track is supposed to move sideways first - ie so I can then sit on the 'dormant' track and focus on the relevant one first of all.

    Managed to find the manual for this machine on the forum last night - all 660 pages of it - so am currently working my way through that.

    PS Spent an entertaining hour or so last night looking through your lengthy thread/blog about all things druid

  4. #4
    Fabrication Guru +1 v8druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbuoy View Post
    Thanks Druid

    I've tried that but with no joy. This is partly why I want to know which track is supposed to move sideways first - ie so I can then sit on the 'dormant' track and focus on the relevant one first of all.

    Managed to find the manual for this machine on the forum last night - all 660 pages of it - so am currently working my way through that.

    PS Spent an entertaining hour or so last night looking through your lengthy thread/blog about all things druid
    vague recollections that I put that manual up some time ago ....

    you must be a fast reader Boyo .... glad it entertained you ... I try to please .... keeping it up is erratic at times
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

  5. #5
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,374
    It will be a failed or non existant solenoid that controls the expansion ram .. sits on the same block that controls the double speed tracking .. theres one solenoid for each
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  6. #6
    New Start
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Argyll
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Muz

    Now you mention it, the double speed tracking is fubarred as well. (It was all working when I last used the machine - honest)

    Out with the meter tomorrow me thinks

  7. #7
    Fabrication Guru +1 v8druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbuoy View Post
    Thanks Muz

    Now you mention it, the double speed tracking is fubarred as well. (It was all working when I last used the machine - honest)

    Out with the meter tomorrow me thinks
    sounds like an earth issue perhaps, with both having gone down ?
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

  8. #8
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by v8druid View Post
    sounds like an earth issue perhaps, with both having gone down ?
    Sealed plug connectors Druid .. usually they just melt ...............
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  9. #9
    Fabrication Guru +1 v8druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Sealed plug connectors Druid .. usually they just melt ...............
    both together ?? ..... they've gotta be earthed some where Muz ? ... take it they're Ovlov's own, not DINs
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

  10. #10
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by v8druid View Post
    both together ?? ..... they've gotta be earthed some where Muz ? ... take it they're Ovlov's own, not DINs
    They dont blow fuses or anything when they 'go' they just self destruct
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Similar Threads

  1. Volvo EC15B
    By Smiler in forum Hydraulics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-03-2018, 12:21 AM
  2. Volvo ec15b xtv
    By Duff33300 in forum Hydraulics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 11:52 PM
  3. volvo ec15b
    By bones in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28-06-2016, 08:58 PM
  4. volvo ec15b
    By bretthawk in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-01-2014, 07:38 PM
  5. Volvo EC15B
    By pete_massey in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •