Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone Recognise This 24 volt Alternator ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone Recognise This 24 volt Alternator ?

I'm re-working a large generator set with an 11 litre Dorman 6LE 6 pot diesel engine. The charging alternator is toast but I don't recognise it. No makers marks.

It has a remote CAV 440A regulator so I suppose it's most likely a CAV one - engine is 1972 but alternator quite probably has been changed several times since then !

I'd like to fit one with an integral regular to simplify and tidy the wiring.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
    I'm re-working a large generator set with an 11 litre Dorman 6LE 6 pot diesel engine. The charging alternator is toast but I don't recognise it. No makers marks.

It has a remote CAV 440A regulator so I suppose it's most likely a CAV one - engine is 1972 but alternator quite probably has been changed several times since then !

I'd like to fit one with an integral regular to simplify and tidy the wiring.
    12 or 24 volt? ..... looks a lot like a Lucas 23 ACR as fitted to Rover SD1 cars which were very power hungry
    IIRC it was a 80A unit ..... but they had on board reg.s

I slung out maybe 10 of 'em when I cleared my yard ... all known good units

ON EDIT ..... just realised this is 24 volts .... from the title -- DER!!!
    Last edited by v8druid; 29-09-2019, 11:23 PM.
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Problem solved!

I gave up trying to remove the alternator the conventional way, and removed the adaptor bracket with the alternator still on it so I could explain the error of it's ways while on the bench using a bigger hammer.

And guess what - an ID plate where it had been up against the engine. My local auto electric man had a working one on the shelf that had bad bearings, so I relieved him of it and Simply Bearings are providing the replacements in a day or so !
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X