Thread: Does anyone Recognise This 24 volt Alternator ?

Apprentice joiner

Does anyone Recognise This 24 volt Alternator ?

I'm re-working a large generator set with an 11 litre Dorman 6LE 6 pot diesel engine. The charging alternator is toast but I don't recognise it. No makers marks.

It has a remote CAV 440A regulator so I suppose it's most likely a CAV one - engine is 1972 but alternator quite probably has been changed several times since then !

I'd like to fit one with an integral regular to simplify and tidy the wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMawson View Post
    I'm re-working a large generator set with an 11 litre Dorman 6LE 6 pot diesel engine. The charging alternator is toast but I don't recognise it. No makers marks.

It has a remote CAV 440A regulator so I suppose it's most likely a CAV one - engine is 1972 but alternator quite probably has been changed several times since then !

I'd like to fit one with an integral regular to simplify and tidy the wiring.
    12 or 24 volt? ..... looks a lot like a Lucas 23 ACR as fitted to Rover SD1 cars which were very power hungry
    IIRC it was a 80A unit ..... but they had on board reg.s

I slung out maybe 10 of 'em when I cleared my yard ... all known good units

ON EDIT ..... just realised this is 24 volts .... from the title -- DER!!!
    Last edited by v8druid; 30-09-2019 at 12:23 AM.
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Apprentice joiner
    Problem solved!

I gave up trying to remove the alternator the conventional way, and removed the adaptor bracket with the alternator still on it so I could explain the error of it's ways while on the bench using a bigger hammer.

And guess what - an ID plate where it had been up against the engine. My local auto electric man had a working one on the shelf that had bad bearings, so I relieved him of it and Simply Bearings are providing the replacements in a day or so !
    Attached Images Attached Images