Service Costs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Costs!

I've just had my Volvo EC15C serviced today and wondered whether the price I paid was fair or not.

The plant fitter is employed, currently furloughed and doing foreigners using his company van. I'm absolutely fine with this, as he's looking at starting out on his own and has a young family so the best of luck to him I reckon.

He changed the engine oil and filter, the inner and outer air filters, both fuel filters, greased all the relevant parts on the machine, checked the tracks tension, and replaced (or topped up) the oil in the final drive motors. He couldn't get hold of the hydraulic filter so just topped up the oil for now.

He also investigated a hydraulic leak underneath the tracks pedals and fixed the handbrake on an old Thwaites dumper

So, I paid £250 and wondered whether this was a fair price or not. I'm pretty sure it would have cost more at the local Volvo dealer, but how much more?

Originally posted by Digga View Post
    I've just had my Volvo EC15C serviced today and wondered whether the price I paid was fair or not.

The plant fitter is employed, currently furloughed and doing foreigners using his company van. I'm absolutely fine with this, as he's looking at starting out on his own and has a young family so the best of luck to him I reckon.

He changed the engine oil and filter, the inner and outer air filters, both fuel filters, greased all the relevant parts on the machine, checked the tracks tension, and replaced (or topped up) the oil in the final drive motors. He couldn't get hold of the hydraulic filter so just topped up the oil for now.

He also investigated a hydraulic leak underneath the tracks pedals and fixed the handbrake on an old Thwaites dumper

So, I paid £250 and wondered whether this was a fair price or not. I'm pretty sure it would have cost more at the local Volvo dealer, but how much more?
    Few issues there he wants to watch as far as HMRC are concerned eyes and ears everywhere sounds fair enough to me for the money though .. looks like he covered a few jobs needing reasonable experience, as long as he carried them out correctly.
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Few issues there he wants to watch as far as HMRC are concerned eyes and ears everywhere sounds fair enough to me for the money though .. looks like he covered a few jobs needing reasonable experience, as long as he carried them out correctly.
      Agree with your HMRC comment, I bet there's lots of it going on though...
      He works for a large firm and maintains anything and everything so I'm hoping he's more than competent

Comment

Originally posted by Digga View Post
        Agree with your HMRC comment, I bet there's lots of it going on though...
        Without doubt .. and public forums like these get monitored 24/7 Lets hope people deal with the situation as it is with respect though. There is nothing wrong with people working alone and social distancing if they can do so, as long as they aren't ripping off their employer and milking the situation or using works gear inappropriately..
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Without doubt .. and public forums like these get monitored 24/7 Lets hope people deal with the situation as it is with respect though. There is nothing wrong with people working alone and social distancing if they can do so, as long as they aren't ripping off their employer and milking the situation or using works gear inappropriately..
          As a business owner myself, I asked him whether he had to submit mileage logs or if his employer had a GPS tracker on his van. He said they trialled them a couple of years ago but decided not to go ahead.

Apparently, all the tools in his van are his own except for a compressor and he buys his parts direct from his employer so they are fully aware he does foreigners. I almost laughed out loud when he said he pays for a full tank of diesel now and again!

Comment

Working...
          X