Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thwaites 1 ton hi tip, tipped over, how do you start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thwaites 1 ton hi tip, tipped over, how do you start?

Hi
    we have a thwaites 1 ton hi tip dumper, it’s been put on its side, it was turned off within 10 seconds, just as white smoke came out of the exhaust. The machine was picked up and put back on its wheels within 15 minuets of it happening. There was a small loss of hydraulic oil........
    it has been left for 16 hours on its 4 wheels,,, we have tried to start it and it ‘half turns over’ we read the little booklet which mentions a reset......... is this a button or some thing mechanical that is simple to do or is it needing a workshop visit ,strip down etc? we have checked the oils, diesel and water in the radiator and they all seem fine’ we have topped up the hydraulic oil.

any help would be greatly received.

many thanks
    Mike

DO NOT attempt turn it over .. its hydraulically locked .. engine oil is trapped in the cylinders. You will need to pull the injectors to clear the problem. Two vey important issue to watch

1 when you crack off the leak off line dont let it turn on the injector which it will try to do, you will burst it
    2 dont lose the little top hat that the injector is seated on , when you turn the engine over to expel the oil

Oh and check the air filter doesent have oil in it

Let us know how you get on .. Thats £2.5 k's worth of advice right there
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks Muz,, very much appreciated...
      Will keep you posted on how I get on.

Comment

Well,,,,, all good, oil in the pots, so,,,,,,,, air box off,, cracked injectors, closed the cover down so oil wouldn’t shoot everywhere,, turned her over, all oil out.
        put the injectors back, turned her over again, connected fuel back up, tuned ignition on as self priming, then fired her up,, bit smokey as you would expect. Topped up the engine oil with about 200ml.
        happy chappy

thank you Muz you are a ⭐️
        I’m very grateful for your help..

cheers😘

Comment

You are welcome .. good result
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi, I am in exactly the same position. Being nieve tried turning it over and maybe half a turn before turning no further. Assumed battery etc but a recharge showed no change, each time I get the same half a turn, and then found myself here.
            I have not worked on diesel engine before, quite happy pulling out spark plugs on a petrol engine. So Im a Noob with a few tools I guess. Bridgendbuddy said he cracked the injectors, what does this mean?
            I can see 3 injectors, got a couple of small pipes going into the side of them and a pipe out the top of it. Do I need to remove all these pipes and remove the injectors, like I might spark plugs, then turn over?
            Or does crack mean I don't need to remove the pipes just turn them anticlockwise half a turn? if this, am I opening just the nut around the top pipe, or the whole injector? Sorry in advance for the 101 questions.

Comment

Working...
            X