Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15B - Ignition on - the battery voltage brakes down to 3V

Hello,

the Volvo runs well, I switched it off and as I want restart it it sounds like a rattle in the ignition on position. The nois is like a empty battery when you activate the starter. But the battery if full (over 12,8V) and it braks down to 4V when the ignition is on. At first I removed one fuse by the next one at the fuse box which is located at the right console. No change. Then I removed fuse by fuse which are located near the battery - no change of the behaviour. Then I disconnected the glowsparks - no change . And I discionnected the starter cable - no change. Hm - not easy. Maybe the ignition lock has a short circuit. Because I removed on fuse by the other and the voltage breakdown never disappeared, the short circuit must be out of the systems which are secured by a fuse.
    Any idea?

Regards wowe

the glow sparc is naturally the glow plug...

Comment

The problem is solved

It was only the battery. I put a current meter to the battery and saw, that there is almost no current flowing and the voltage brokes down. I donīt remember to any such a constellation, where the battery has a nc voltage over 12,6V and such a break down with a load. But the good thing is - the repair is over.

Best regards wowe

Comment

Originally posted by wowe View Post
        It was only the battery. I put a current meter to the battery and saw, that there is almost no current flowing and the voltage brokes down. I donīt remember to any such a constellation, where the battery has a nc voltage over 12,6V and such a break down with a load. But the good thing is - the repair is over.

Best regards wowe
        Hi wove,

similar thing happened to me. The engine did not start and when startting, there was a very high current from the battery. It turned out that the starter motor had short circuit to the ground. Diagnosed with a clamp ammeter and it showed over 200A. That equals 2,4kW, over 2x the nominal starter power.

Had to replace the starter.

Lesson learnt: if the voltage over the battery goes very low on start, suspect the starter motor as well.

happy diggings

Comment

Apart from those listed above, an apparent low battery voltage can be due to loose battery terminals or a bit of corrosion between the post and terminal.

My sisters "great mechanic" boyfriend diagnosed her starting problems as 'old battery' and fitted a new one. After a year of it sitting idle, I fitted it my car and four years later it's still starting my diesel!

Comment

I checked if the taps are well conneted. Iīm an electric engineer, so I know such things.

Comment

Working...
            X