Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large hammer chisel bit

Hi

I'm after making a diy machine to break up concrete. My idea is to get a big 100-500kg hammer chisel and rig up a machine on a small single axle trailer I can tow with my van that just basically picks it up and drops it. Like a pile driver.

I have found that the best way to break up concrete is to just pick up a big rock and drop it. It looks unprofessional and it often gets away from you so you can't really do it near something you don't want damaged. But yeah works way better than a little pecker.

I figure I could just make it out of some mild steel but probably best off to buy a ready made chisel thats been designed for the job, properly hardened etc.

I'm guessing a 20-25ton class machine would have a chisel that weighs in around 100kg to 500kg? And that they would be readily available and relatively cheap?

I've found this one on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Furukawa-...AAAOSwLrNeZ6rM
    cant find the specs on it but if its 150mm diameter, judging by the pallet its a fair old lump, and the price is right.

Any ideas, advise or guidance?

Thanks Adam

Originally posted by Rufe0 View Post
    Hi

I'm after making a diy machine to break up concrete. My idea is to get a big 100-500kg hammer chisel and rig up a machine on a small single axle trailer I can tow with my van that just basically picks it up and drops it. Like a pile driver.

I have found that the best way to break up concrete is to just pick up a big rock and drop it. It looks unprofessional and it often gets away from you so you can't really do it near something you don't want damaged. But yeah works way better than a little pecker.

I figure I could just make it out of some mild steel but probably best off to buy a ready made chisel thats been designed for the job, properly hardened etc.

I'm guessing a 20-25ton class machine would have a chisel that weighs in around 100kg to 500kg? And that they would be readily available and relatively cheap?

I've found this one on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Furukawa-...AAAOSwLrNeZ6rM
    cant find the specs on it but if its 150mm diameter, judging by the pallet its a fair old lump, and the price is right.

Any ideas, advise or guidance?

Thanks Adam

You can buy a decent jackhammer for that money or thereabouts
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      You can buy a decent jackhammer for that money or thereabouts
      Ever tried to breakout a concrete driveway with a 15kg electric breaker? I have... not easy... sometimes the stars align and it breaks like its nothing but that doesn't happen very often. I've hired 1-3t diggers with peckers before and they are better but even they struggle sometimes, plus they are just rubbish in general. 5ton+ is what you want really, used a 8t once on a driveway and it just smashed it to pieces like it was nothing and I know that was 6inch thick atleast. However I don't do driveways very often so I can't really justify buying one and I don't like hiring them if I don't have to. I do have room to store a small trailer though and I can pick one up cheap, pretty confident I can fab up a pile driver mechanism and i've got an engine I could use for it.

Comment

Working...
      X