Thread: Top ram metal pipe

Top ram metal pipe

As title says metal top ram pipe is cracked on a Hitachi excavator, Is it mild steel .i.e. can I MiG weld it? or is it some other type of metal?
    Thanks
    Kev

Shouldn't be a problem , Jap stuff is high quality steel and welds lovely .. I'm a stick man (who welds light tin ) can usualy do it on a slightly lower heat helps prevent burn through.

Obvs take pipe off and drain

**General warning to you rookie welders out there NEVER EVER WELD A PIPE IN SITU when its connected you will create a fireball **
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Quantity Surveyor on the up ianoz's Avatar
    I had a ram pipe on my JCB 8 ton excavator crack . The crack was on the ram side of the pipe , so no room to weld it ..Hydraulic shopsideato fix was cutthe pipe ,put a compression Fitting on it , And hose straight on to the fitting .

Thanks Muz, was defo going to take pipe off to make proper job of it as ive seen a hydraulic fireball, just 8 Allen key bolts drops it off. Its a 450 so big bolts:) i am a stick man myself but MiG is sitting handy in shed. Thanks for info on grade of steel in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ianoz View Post
    I had a ram pipe on my JCB 8 ton excavator crack . The crack was on the ram side of the pipe , so no room to weld it ..Hydraulic shopsideato fix was cutthe pipe ,put a compression Fitting on it , And hose straight on to the fitting .
    One of the guys suggested replacing it with a hose, but I would rather repair it if possible as it looks better ianoz

Quantity Surveyor on the up ianoz's Avatar
    If it won't weld . most hydraulic shops should be able the make a new one at a reasonable cost . The Compression fitting and hose was a If all else fails , a get out of jail card .

Put a pic up if you want a further opinion .. but sounds like you have it in hand hardest part is carbon during the weld or the finish .. they leave little holes sometimes so you need to do 2 or thee runs sometimes to get ir sealed .. not unusual
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Put a pic up if you want a further opinion .. but sounds like you have it in hand hardest part is carbon during the weld or the finish .. they leave little holes sometimes so you need to do 2 or thee runs sometimes to get ir sealed .. not unusual
    Thanks Muz welded a treat, thanks for info. digger back in action thurs friday and then track fell off yesterday cleaning sludge ponds It fell off tracking in a straight line if all things, realised after that front idlers are that worn that not much there to keep track on, but thats another story. Lump of high hours scrap ive got lumbered with

find a replacement

This happened to us whilst one of the lads were using the digger... anyway we found a replacement on ebay took like 2 days max to collect.