Thread: Cherry picker that won't lift.....much

Cherry picker that won't lift.....much

Hi looking for some advice regarding an old cherry picker, not sure of the make but it is an electric job and seems to work fine (very very slowly) except that it wont raise the first metre or so if I am in the basket, without me in it, it lifts fine then I can climb in and it will lift, albeit very very slowly....any one know how I could test the pump, the guy that had it before me put a new motor on it and was wondering if he got the rpm right, it seems it is 1350 rpm single phase 2 pole motor. It hase a little lamborghini 119c pump which I guess is a 1.2cc pump this is cheap enough to replace but need to make sure I am doing the right thing and not just wasting money. It has no filter in it and the fluid looks a bit grubby.

Also does anyone know what the flow rate/ relief valves are on the rams, guess they are to limit descent in case of failure. does anyone know how to adjust??? or if they are adjustable.... see photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hankstains View Post
    Hi looking for some advice regarding an old cherry picker, not sure of the make but it is an electric job and seems to work fine (very very slowly) except that it wont raise the first metre or so if I am in the basket, without me in it, it lifts fine then I can climb in and it will lift, albeit very very slowly....any one know how I could test the pump, the guy that had it before me put a new motor on it and was wondering if he got the rpm right, it seems it is 1350 rpm single phase 2 pole motor. It hase a little lamborghini 119c pump which I guess is a 1.2cc pump this is cheap enough to replace but need to make sure I am doing the right thing and not just wasting money. It has no filter in it and the fluid looks a bit grubby.

Also does anyone know what the flow rate/ relief valves are on the rams, guess they are to limit descent in case of failure. does anyone know how to adjust??? or if they are adjustable.... see photos.

The rams will have check valves on them so that in the event of a burst, the rams dont collapse, they will be calibrated to operate at a particular pressure I imagine, so if your pump cannot generate enough pressure to do this, the performance would be impaired I would think,... you'll have to find the specs of the machine and test it with a pressure test kit to find out where you are with it
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist