Forum upgraded to 4.1.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum upgraded to 4.1.9

Ok peeps .. Ive just upgraded us to the latest version again .. I wont be doing one for a while now, but the importance of this one was that its the first one to be done in its entirety in the forums new host site, .. and all is good 100% so lets see what gems have been improved on this upgrade .. I believe mobile phone useage has been a big part of it again as well as other glitch fixes

Just like to keep you dudes up to speed
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Went to log in earlier and was refused access .................launched a string of verbals at you muzz .................but if you had the spanners out it ok...........
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
      Went to log in earlier and was refused access .................launched a string of verbals at you muzz .................but if you had the spanners out it ok...........
      Well I do try to wait until its at its quietest, and almost no one is about .. I logged in and kept an eye for about two hours ..

anyway .. you guys are using one of the hottest bits of forum tech out there :wub: theres not much better than this kit for sure.

Upgrades are always a pain .. but its like going to the dentist .. you know it needs done, despite not liking it, and you feel better afterwards ... and thats your side of the fence ... its clenched buttocks on mine
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Upgrades are always a pain .. but its like going to the dentist .. its clenched buttocks on mine
        Does your dentist also practice proctology?

Comment

Originally posted by B4D2USA View Post
          Does your dentist also practice proctology?
          Thankfully no .. perhaps I should have organised my post better .. I think you get the message though .. when theres so much at stake, an upgrade is always a nightmare, and this forum is tiny compared to some.

In a way I feel its best to keep doing these things to keep you (me) up to speed on best practice, that way theres less chance of a total f**k up if its a once in a while thing

Comment

Hey Bruce , better get your arse into gear and do a bit of up grading . I see ACMOC is still back at 4.1.5.

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
              Hey Bruce , better get your arse into gear and do a bit of up grading . I see ACMOC is still back at 4.1.5.

Ian, after seeing the upgrade here, it's got me to thinking exactly that. Now if only I can find a proctologist...

Comment

Ian, after seeing the upgrade here, it's got me to thinking exactly that. Now if only I can find a proctologist...
                Bear in mind .. I was shifting the entire forum between two entirely different physical locations this time, which meant changes to DNS records and things, which is pretty heavy stuff .. the upgrade from 418 to 419 once we got here, was faultless in its self .. and also .. the differences between 415 and 419 are pretty small TBH as far as I have been able to determine. Thats why I mentioned that there would need to be something fairly substantial to make me upgrade again, not just for that but I rekon that VB have finally got a pretty stable platform back again, after the nightmare changes they made after 385 or what ever it was when most of the VB development team left the company

Comment

I'm still wondering when ACME is going to upgrade. They are still running 3.04. It's like going back in time. The trouble is that it's been the same for so long that some of the old-time users will struggle if and when he upgrades. We had the same thing @ ACMOC. There are still folks complaining that we screwed up the old site

Comment

Bruce you can only please some of the time not all the people all of the time..............................
                    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

I'm still wondering when ACME is going to upgrade. They are still running 3.04. It's like going back in time. The trouble is that it's been the same for so long that some of the old-time users will struggle if and when he upgrades. We had the same thing @ ACMOC. There are still folks complaining that we screwed up the old site
                      Hi Bruce , Joe announced a couple of weeks ago ,that ACME will have a total up grade on the first of January . He has decided not to go with V Bulletin , So poor old SJ is going to be totally lost . If you look at Announcements down the bottom of ACME forums page Alan{Flip } and myself are the only ones to comment I think .

Comment

Well not only did you make a big change and people dont like that, but VB screwed up the most, because they released a different user interface with the 4.... platform that was full of bugs, didnt work, and there wasnt hardly any left to support it, and all of that, from what was, and used to be one of the best platforms out there. There a still a huge load of forums that have stopped at 3.8x because they are afraid to upgrade for all of these reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                          Hi Bruce , Joe announced a couple of weeks ago ,that ACME will have a total up grade on the first of January . He has decided not to go with V Bulletin , So poor old SJ is going to be totally lost . If you look at Announcements down the bottom of ACME forums page Alan{Flip } and myself are the only ones to comment I think .
                          Thanks Ian. I had noticed that. I like Joe a lot. He also managed the ACMOC forum until just a few years ago, but the poor fellow needs to learn how to say "no" once in a while as he has way too many irons in the fire. He was supposed to upgrade the forum a few years ago, that's why I'm not going to hold his feet to the fire with the latest upgrade threat. Between developing a farmstead, learning to be an airplane mechanic, being the president of his local chapter of the HCEA, running his own forum (A couple) and life in general, I think poor old Joe has his hands full. It appears he will have some IT help, which will go a long way, so I can only wish him the best of luck. All that being said, I don't mind 3.04 as it seems very stable. The unfortunate thing is that VBulletin will no longer support anything earlier than 3.8, so if anything breaks, we at ACME are SOL.

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                          Well not only did you make a big change and people dont like that, but VB screwed up the most, because they released a different user interface with the 4.... platform that was full of bugs, didnt work, and there wasnt hardly any left to support it, and all of that, from what was, and used to be one of the best platforms out there. There a still a huge load of forums that have stopped at 3.8x because they are afraid to upgrade for all of these reasons.
                          Preaching to the choir, you are... We (the website committee) beta tested 4.whatever at ACMOC when we upgraded and it took several weeks before we were ready to let it go. Not without many voices of concern and complaint, but after the learning curve, things have been smooth. My only complaint is that most forums exploit the newer operating systems and those of us still stoking coal into our old Windows XP machines have to wait longer while the interactive components load up. Maybe I should just realize that things will never be the same for long....

Comment

Working...
                          X