Hiya from Raf Waddington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiya from Raf Waddington

hello everyone,I joined this forum in the hope that you guys can help. I used to drive diggers before I joined the service. It was with select, 'O rourkes's plant division. this was at the time when they bought out Laings cranes.mostly drove CAT 320's but now and then CAT 345DI still retain the skill and passion for the machines. now I direct this towards the Radio Controlled model versions. I love building them and I have recently started a Liebherr R954C. Alot of innovation is going into it in respect of the model world. I am also a perfectionist which drives me to obtain as much info as possible. I have also been asked to build a mobile tracked crusher and an ADT so I have a busy list lolmy actual job is in the Royal Signals (Army) I know what you are about to say. RAF station??? but yeah it's a cultural difference but intersting.

Hi Rebekah, welcome funnily enough I was thinking about a wee section for models somewhere, as there are a lot of people that share your passion. I knew a vintage tractor collector a few years back that had his office walls lined with glass cases stuffed FULL of every tractor model you could imagine, some worth a pretty penny too!

Is your Liebherr to be a working model, or just static ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

RC model

hiya,thank you,it will be a fully working model 100% Hydraulic. I am going to use a std pump from one of the model suppliers but they are supplyiing custom Rams. what is going to be different is the Hyd motors. they are going to be axial piston motors not the standard piston hyd motor. this is what is the new aspect. I am just trying to get parts manuals for various machines. especially the R954C the detail I get from these books are ideal for the parts.I am also trying to get hold of the scale drawings but that seems to be impossible. I have already got one for the a liebherr A944 C-LI which has given me alot of info. in addition to liebherr i am looking to get CAT, Volvo and various other manuals that I can. the guy I am building the Liebherr for is also looking for me to build a crusherso it's going to be busy for a while. lolthis is my build thread so far: http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ad.php?t=3631I hope that the guys and gals on here can help me out.

Comment

Hi Rebekah *waves* ......wowee thats a project and a half theres some engineering challenges a plenty in that I bet

Welcome anyhoo and I'm sure we'll help where we can !
        I Pull for a living

Comment

That 'will' be something to see ..... Whats going to power it ?
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

the motor for the pump is an electric motor. the movement is all hydraulic. tracks, slew and boom. there will be a bank of 8 valves which should give me auxhillary option as well. I have used the model that Damitz makes and you can get a full day out of it. the slew joint, final drive, valves and slew motor are all being built by me. it's a project and a half but I am loving it. it's primarely being built out of aluminium. the weight is estimated at 16 KG and at full stretch it will be 1050mm long. lifting capacity I couldn't say as that will be established once finished but it should have a very good break out strength. How can I call upon the forum for information on anything plant machinery for donation to my building hobby. cruchers, dozers, front loaders, dump trucks, diggers, cranes (both mobile and tracked) schematic drawings, brochures( although they are downloadable), picture/photo's, manuals, parts catalogues.... anything. I am happy to cover postages and al littel extra.. the companies are reluctant to provide these things. I don't mind the format, be it on CD or hard copy. if you want I am happy to keep the forum upto date how the miniature world is in keeping with the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by rebekah_harper View Post
              the motor for the pump is an electric motor. the movement is all hydraulic. tracks, slew and boom. there will be a bank of 8 valves which should give me auxhillary option as well. I have used the model that Damitz makes and you can get a full day out of it. the slew joint, final drive, valves and slew motor are all being built by me. it's a project and a half but I am loving it. it's primarely being built out of aluminium. the weight is estimated at 16 KG and at full stretch it will be 1050mm long. lifting capacity I couldn't say as that will be established once finished but it should have a very good break out strength. How can I call upon the forum for information on anything plant machinery for donation to my building hobby. cruchers, dozers, front loaders, dump trucks, diggers, cranes (both mobile and tracked) schematic drawings, brochures( although they are downloadable), picture/photo's, manuals, parts catalogues.... anything. I am happy to cover postages and al littel extra.. the companies are reluctant to provide these things. I don't mind the format, be it on CD or hard copy. if you want I am happy to keep the forum upto date how the miniature world is in keeping with the real world.
              Hi Rebekah....... welcome

Firstly, we are a fairly new forum, so our membership is still quite small .... but there are a few of us with access to the material that might be of interest/use. I know what you mean about companies not handing out stuff, even when we own their machines, they wont give us some stuff . I know Muz was trying to find a work shop manual for his Scania truck a while back, and they are not to be had for love nor money, as the dealers always want you to bring the stuff back to them for servicing which is crap, and expensive.

I for one would be well interested in uopdates of your project as you go along, it sounds brilliant, and very intricate, and as we are all into our engineering, how you overcome the obstacles along the way will be very interesting to us I'm sure . Also .... thats one area where we may be of more help, as many of us have a pretty good understanding of the problems of the full sized units, so fixing them, or suggesting workarounds, or solving other issues you might have might be something we could help with, although, I'm sure the very fact its a model will present just as many problems, as in how you go about things. Feel free to ask anything no matter how trivial it may seem, as we are a friendly bunch, and would love to see the end product of you labours. Also a few of us are into restoring old kit too, so theres a wealth of experience from that side of things, from the masters of make do and mend

edit ... meant to say how do you get tracks for this sort of thing ?
              Last edited by Dan; 27-02-2012, 06:39 PM. Reason: forgot summat

Comment

Hiya, thank you for the support. it's a challange but I am enjoying it immensely. the tracks are made by myselft aswell. but what I will be doing is making 2 and getting someone to CNC the other 100 lol. the one thing I would like to know is how to weld aluminium. well more what equipment and what the settings are for welding thin and small.

Comment

Originally posted by rebekah_harper View Post
                  Hiya, thank you for the support. it's a challange but I am enjoying it immensely. the tracks are made by myselft aswell. but what I will be doing is making 2 and getting someone to CNC the other 100 lol. the one thing I would like to know is how to weld aluminium. well more what equipment and what the settings are for welding thin and small.
                  It has to be TIG welded for best results, Ive tried it with MIG and ally wire but my requirements wont be as fine as yours will need to be, its wierd stuff to do though because it melts so easily, this site here has a few good tips

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/aluminium-welding.htm

noting especially the two main ones, about 'pushing' rather than 'pulling. and also some good advice about brass heat sinks

Comment

Rebekah, welcome to the forum. There is a retired model maker who frequents another forum (Antique Caterpillar Machinery Enthusiasts http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net/ACF_v2/index.php? ) You may need to register to view the forum, but it may well be worth the effort. The user's handle is Jerry Hall and he has hand crafted a few operable scale models of Caterpillar dozers. You may be able to google his name as he is somewhat well known for his skills. Good luck with the project and, by all means, take and share plenty of photos.

Comment

Hi Rebekah you must have a (pun intended) scaled down machine shop to build these things. I'm into building model trains myself and have built a quarry on my layout. But these RC construction machines are quite something hope your able to find what your looking for here.

Comment

Welcome Becca enjoy the forum, sent you a PM................

Stock
                        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

hummph... bunch of techno whooses, welcome craphat and good luck with your project, way above my paygrade but sounds definately involved. Love to hear how it goes, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X