Need a new chain saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new chain saw

Any of you guys got a view ? Local plant stealer wants to sell me a husky ...... I was trying out a Stihl today and was quite impressed with it, its just for softwoods really, no mega forestry work either, just clearing and some logging
    I Pull for a living

I have a Stihl MS250. I am lusting after a 290 only for the added HP but I am happy with the 250. I also have an old McColloch Timberbear that is quite a saw. The trouble is the weight. When limbing and small cuts, it gets real heavy. Big stuff: it just eats it up. However, it is a 25 year old saw and they don't make them any more.

The line crews use Huskies for their clearing work. I have never used one, but they appear to do the job pretty well.

Comment

Both myself and two of my kin have huskys with relative trouble free term, mine however did suffer chain oil pump failure just out of warranty, took I back to the dealer no problem had it back two days later with a new pump and chain bar and chain along with an apology. Great saw to start I have a kit with me when cutting timber it includes a paint brush which I use to clean down the saw prior to refuelling. But no matter what brand you get they need to be maintained, with properly edged chains. Lots of folks edge the teeth but forget the rakers.

http://www.oregonchain.eu/fileadmin/.../MM_EN_EUR.pdf

Don't forget to get a grease gun for the nose sprocket.

Proper petrol mix is vital but don't keep it too long as the modern petrol degrades after 3 months.

One other thing to keep in mind the gums in soft woods are detrimental to chains so use a good quality oil...............
      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
        One other thing to keep in mind the gums in soft woods are detrimental to chains so use a good quality oil...............
        Oooh , dint know that ?

Comment

I have a husky and so does everyone i know. The huskys always seem more powerful than the same sized stihls. Mine is a 455 Rancher. I only use husky 2 stroke and oregon chain oil in mine. Whats the dealer trying to sell you?

Comment

I have a Stihl that works great .. easy starter a 391 IIRC on a 20" bar

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Product...20/MS-391.aspx

it does choke odd times due to some timber getting caught in the guide area though .. its quite high revving though

matter of fact I think this is how they get more power out of it , which might not be healthiest for the engine

Comment

Huskys have a very good clean air intake system which keeps the aircleaner free from sawdust , Stihl have copied it on to some of their models recently I believe ,but prior to that they were very dirty little buggers in that regard .In my opinion Stihl chainsaws are hard to beat ,they are light and nicely balanced smooth and very reliable ,I have never had anything go wrong with one ,except perhaps a broken starter cord .

Comment

On second thoughts there was an 034 that the bar studs pulled away from the saw body taking the alloy threads along with them , I have learned from that experience and hold the wrench at the head now and not the handle when tightening the bar nuts on any saw...
                My father has an 08S purchased in the horse and cart days ,it still runs fine but compared to a modern saw its absolute crap to use ...

Comment

I bought a Makita ages ago, maybe 15 years ago, and I think its the dogs ... I've never touched the engine in all that time and it starts first pull, and idles nicely even now, still on its original chain too .... it only does soft woods too, and logging, its quite light, and I cant fault it, I wonder if its a copy of somone elses saw ?
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Don't think so Muz a buddy has a consaw of similar vintage and delighted with it but only uses it himself . Some of his employees reckon they would have a better chance of sleeping with his wife than getting either his chainsaw or his consaw...................Now why anyone would want to sleep with the battleaxe I'll never know and yes he does know my opinion on her and her's of me..........
                    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Ive an old Stihl an have had no problems with it .... good saw
                      Hydraulic oil -- its in my veins - - - well I assume thats what the pain is

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                        Any of you guys got a view ? Local plant stealer wants to sell me a husky ...... I was trying out a Stihl today and was quite impressed with it, its just for softwoods really, no mega forestry work either, just clearing and some logging
                        Any update on this Mike ?
                        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hows this for a chain saw
                          2010-12-13_12-29-24_789.jpg2010-12-13_12-29-10_215.jpg

Mog
                          If I have to explain you wouldn't understand

Comment

Originally posted by mogman View Post
                            Hows this for a chain saw
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]835[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]836[/ATTACH]

Mog
                            Lol wtf is that ? ... does it go through the rim as well

Comment

Looking close at the first pic it looks like it has cut into the rim abit!!

Comment

Working...
                              X