Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refurb the pump

Hi guys

how big a job is it to refurb the hydraulic pump on my machine? (jcb 8014) pics on previous thread.

I am looking to go through the machine with a fine tooth comb and put all the little niggles right like a dipping bucket.

Where's the best place to get a service manual? anyone got one on PDF?
    Last edited by Rob-b; 06-06-2012, 08:30 AM.

Pumps surprisingly arent that expensive to buy, this is a good company here based on Port Glasgow Ive had several units from them over the years. However the originals can run satisfactorily for many years, you should have it tested to see what pressure it puts out, and that will tell you if its down on pressure, and needing replaced but you'll need a machine shop that carries the correct guages to test it. The procedure for changing is very simple, its just a bolt on unit.

Ive only ever had to do 3 in 20 years from hundreds of diggers if thats any guage of failure for you. As for service manuals you'll just need to keep hunting, dunno if anyone here has any for that machine?, its probably the only digger I dont have one for ! There will be sites offering them ok but most will be pay services I expect
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Myself , I would be doing a pressure test ,See what it is putting out .If you are only using it as a round the yard machine ,not putting it on hire work .A bit lower than spec should not be much of a problem .
      My old boss had Mustang 440 skidsteer loaders ..He had a set of pumps rebuilt ,and the rebuilder said they tested at 85% once rebuilt . Boss said that is good enough , Reason being the rest of the machine , Had wear / age to it , so less chance of something failing .

Comment

Been on it today and the reason I say the pump is I've noticed that when I steer it with say more power to one of the tracks it dies a wee bit, but that may be me not having enough revs on, I work it at around 1/4 revs? don't get me wrong it goes ok and when I equalise the track ie both full on it travels no problem.

I may be a bit picky here to think it is going to operate like a new machine and even the dipping bucket isn't that big a deal, so yes it just for around the garden and if I refurb the pump it maybe to strong for other components, if it's not broke eh?

Comment

Bung the revs up to full makes it run faster but thats the way they are supposed to operate. No bodys saying you cant run it slower, just that they are designed to run at full revs, you feather the controls for less speed with the machine, but it only gives full operating power at that speed.

Now the tracks might have another problem, if it tracks off to one side, when you try to go straight or one has less power, it could be 3 things, the first might be the pump as you suspect, but you need to check, it will be a gear pump, and if its just a single section pump, this wont be the problem, because there will only be one feed into the valve block,but if its a double or triple section gear pump, one of the banks could be down in pressure, giving two or three different pressures into the valve block. Secondly it could also be a spool thats not allowing full pressure, but more commonly a relief valve blowing off too soon, and not allowing full pressure in that circuit. The 3rd and most sinister reason is the rotary distributer valve allowing oil to bypass some seals in the valve. This is the unit right in the centre of the machine that allows atleast 6 oil lines to deliver oil to the tracks and dozer blade whilst the machine rotates in any 360° direction. Theres a bundle of nylon rings and 'o' rings in this unit that wear and eventually leak and allow oil to by pass to a return line. If it operates half decent, I'd leave well alone cos its a bit of a pig to get that out, split it and reseal it, will be about 30 seals in it, depending who made it thats not to say it cant be done, but its a bit of a fight
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

This isn't a huge job at all. You could look here http://www.pdfbookmanual.net for the 8014 manual? Otherwise I can only echo what's been said above - and refurbing the pump shouldn't affect the rest of the components. There's a decent excavator maintenance place here if you don't manage to sort this yourself.

Let us know how you get on Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_g_ View Post
              look here http://www.pdfbookmanual.net for the 8014 manual?
              Hi Joe, welcome to the forum

That link above looks like its just a sales brochure, or have I not looked properly, is there a workshop manual on there ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                Bung the revs up to full makes it run faster but thats the way they are supposed to operate. No bodys saying you cant run it slower, just that they are designed to run at full revs, you feather the controls for less speed with the machine, but it only gives full operating power at that speed.

Now the tracks might have another problem, if it tracks off to one side, when you try to go straight or one has less power, it could be 3 things, the first might be the pump as you suspect, but you need to check, it will be a gear pump, and if its just a single section pump, this wont be the problem, because there will only be one feed into the valve block,but if its a double or triple section gear pump, one of the banks could be down in pressure, giving two or three different pressures into the valve block. Secondly it could also be a spool thats not allowing full pressure, but more commonly a relief valve blowing off too soon, and not allowing full pressure in that circuit. The 3rd and most sinister reason is the rotary distributer valve allowing oil to bypass some seals in the valve. This is the unit right in the centre of the machine that allows atleast 6 oil lines to deliver oil to the tracks and dozer blade whilst the machine rotates in any 360° direction. Theres a bundle of nylon rings and 'o' rings in this unit that wear and eventually leak and allow oil to by pass to a return line. If it operates half decent, I'd leave well alone cos its a bit of a pig to get that out, split it and reseal it, will be about 30 seals in it, depending who made it thats not to say it cant be done, but its a bit of a fight

Thanks Muz, appreciate that, I have noticed since that the whols boom sinks over night if left up so something is leaking, but it operates fine. I think I will leave it for now and do my work and when I go into the refurb mode look closer then.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob-b View Post
                  I have noticed since that the whols boom sinks over night if left up so something is leaking,
                  TBH Ive had diggers do that after they are only three years old ...its not something I panick about unless the boom hits the deck in 10 minutes,say, then it becomes a safety issue, and something is seriously wrong, and I will pull it apart then

Comment

I always park witht he boom on the ground, i do this with every machine as i feel it puts un needed stress on parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
                      i feel it puts un needed stress on parts.
                      Is always best for JCB stuff Jim .. stress is something they dont like but you are right .. Its always best practice to lower equipment to the ground when work is done as it puts undue stress and pressure on circuits, which is unnecessary if its left raised , apart from the good old elf'n safety regs

Comment

Yes I do this also, we have 3cx at work which I operate and when trained it's just one of the big list of safety malarky they go through, with my wee machine I just wanted to test how leak free it was or wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                          Hi Joe, welcome to the forum

That link above looks like its just a sales brochure, or have I not looked properly, is there a workshop manual on there ?
                          Sorry my bad, I thought the mini excavator 8014 was the one but you're right! Did you try ebay?? Loads of manuals on there

Comment

Hey guys sorry to take this off topic but as silly as it seems I've always wanted to see what the rotary joint looks like disassembled I've had it explained to me but have never witnessed it when I'm in any shops. I've always been fascinated by hydraulic systems and have taken apart control blocks for a Case 780 when I took a mechanic course about 13 years ago but excavators are a different beast for some reason. lol

Comment

Working...
                            X