Starting a business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a business

Hi Guys, currently work on a farm but thinking of setting myself up in the landscaping side , fed up working in cow shit not sure whether to focus on a product, like water features, or lawns or something, or just get into general maintenance ? but that seems a bit aimless . I know none of you are going to give away your secrets but I'm sure theres space for one more little sausage ? :D

Re: Starting a business

I have a lot of landscaping customers, and have been known to do the odd bit meself I think the biggest single problem you face is how seasonal it is in the UK. Whatever you do, keeping going through the winter and having cash flow will be the hard bit. As to what specialities you do, do you have any special interests ?,... when looking at some of the stuff at the chelsea flower show I never ceased to be amazed at the designs people come up with, could you do garden design from start to completion for example, I think there might be good money in that, but I guess reputation is everything there ?. What about the whole thing of cash management too, have you thought about that, costings for your work etc, will you need to borrow to fund it, if so your bank will more than likely be looking for a business plan, so you'll need to have made some sort of projections, or could you start by doing maintenance and build it from there its an open book really

Comment

Having a farm could be handy for getting rid of some rubbish though, and save going to a tip, that would save me a fortune. As Gaz said though its the seasonal aspect that is the problem. That said Ive got contracts for tidy ups almost through the winter. December and January seem to be the worst. What helps us is that we do hard lanscaping as well, so its a cross over into construction too which helps

Comment

I know someone who does quite well at interior landscaping, ever thought of that ? sometimes involves plastic plants :shock: .. well it obviously pays for some

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys :) I'm gonna have to think about this , dont get me wrong i enjoy my job but i feel i need to branch out now (lol) before its too late

Comment

Got to be brave starting a business in these conditions IMO I'd stick to what you know for now
            Frank Daily .. yesterday .. today.. tomorrow .. everyday

Comment

Working...
            X