Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo EC15B mini - engine removal & injection pump overhaul - plus ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15B mini - engine removal & injection pump overhaul - plus ......

Hello All,

I have a Volvo EC15B mini digger/excavator - 2500 hours and in good shape except the performance drizzled off, became intermittent and then finally died whilst doing some trench-work at our place.

Originally I had found Muz's thread on removing the engine from his EC15, so I tried to do the same on mine. My EC15 was stuck at an odd angle with barely enough space to drop the counterweight,plus all the mud. A bit of a nightmare. Armed with Muz's photos of his engine removed and the official parts list from Volvo I managed to remove the engine and drag it into the workshop.
    My original message to Muz was this- "There are 3 bolts securing the engine tray to the digger and I can find two of them, but where is the third?"
    Muz suggested I start this thread so as to share the struggle!

The parts list clearly shows the easiest bolts to locate and remove, in fact you don't really need a diagram to find them, but I couldn't find the third bolt. I found it after crawling underneath the digger-a tight fit-and found it located on the LHS [from the rear] through an access hole. All 3 bolts can only be removed from underneath the tray.

After that, and disconnecting the obvious umbilicals, the engine lifted out very easily on an engine hoist. It weighs 125 kg dry.

The problem lies within the fuel injection pump. I know this because there the tinkle of bits falling from the pump into the oil sump. I have the sump off now and have retrieved the bits.
    If this thread causes any interest or questions I'll add some photos. For various reasons my time repairing the EC15 is limited as it is located at a property that is rented out as a holiday let.
    The cost of a new pump is towards £600 plus FAT. I have to try and fix it. One other thing - I bought the digger secondhand in July 2012. It has always tracked weakly on the LHS travel motor. I'll be investigating how to get the hydraulic performance up to scratch and will be asking [nay, begging..] for advice from this forum.

To be continued.
    JP

Welcome there Jack sorry can't be of much help on the wee stuff but Muz has the knuckles well bruised on these.

Welcome to the forum and the pic would be nice if you have the time..............
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Hello Jack, and welcome to the forum ... thanks for sharing your dilemma , I'm sure we can help you out

The track motor is just a main relief adjustment and isnt a problem, finding it is though, as Volvo used a variety of valve blocks for these machines, but we'll come to that. Is the pump a Volvo price for service exchange (dont think they do them) or a new part youve been quoted ? .. they are quite simple bits of kit which dont need timed, as they pick up the timing from the cam lobes underneath the pump that drive the plungers up and down, whats busted ? is it the pump plungers on the pump (it pulls out as a single unit) or the cam shaft its self ?

I assume you took the engine out to work on it at a remote location ?

The engine is a Mitsibishi L3 if your looking for parts
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hello Muz and Stock.
        Before going any further is this thread in the right place?

Photos?- definitely! I'll post them tomorrow when I'm back in the fray.
        j

Comment

Not really but dont worry about that .. i'll do some house keeping later
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Yes ,Welcome to the forum Jack .

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

Tuesday Morning
              Brief Summary -
              [i] Two of the cam followers with springs, securing plates, plungers had dropped out of the injection pump into the oil sump.
              [ii] There are small retaining studs which are held in place by a removable plate. It appears that the studs are worn and are not holding the cam followers in alignment. I suspect a previous repair has been tried as the retaining plate securing screws are scuffed and almost worn out.
              [iii] Then fuel circuit has no fuel filter. It has the water separator but no filter.

I shall go and take photos of all these bits over the next few hours and post them here.

J

Comment

Does not sound good Jack.

Comment

A few photos

This is where Doug is stuck. I know...an obvious name for a digger..

And his engine is finally out;

- the whole reason for finding this forum was because I couldn't fine the third bolt to release the engine tray....but, see below:

Apologies for the orientation of the photos.

TBC..

J

Comment

I'm not sure I can post photos yet - there are forum rules and regs that I probably haven't adhered to yet. Anyway, back to the job.

INJECTION PUMP
                    Luckily all the parts were still in one piece and last night I put it all back together again and reinstalled it. I'll take it apart again now to take photos.
                    ...you're right....it didn't sound good...............tinkle, tinkle, tinkle...as parts fell apart.
                    J

Comment

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
                      I'm not sure I can post photos yet -
                      Should be ok now fella

Comment

Thanks Muz.

Wednesday Morning 24th Oct

Yesterday I refitted the fuel injection pump, sump, engine tray, bottom pulley, fan assembly, radiator and top & bottom hoses.
                        The injection pump has a 50:50 chance of working as two of the cam follower/plunger assemblies will fall out of their cylinders if they are withdrawn away from the injection timing camshaft. If that's confusing then ask me and I'll cobble together a diagram!

Today I'll refit the fuel tank, 12v fuel pump and air filter. After that it'll be fitted back into the EC15B.

I have a quoted price for a new injection pump:

1 x 7413168P – Injection Pump @ £545.37 + VAT (comes complete with seals etc)
                        That is from a recommended/reputable Volvo dealer. Delivery is about a week. If all else fails then I'll buy a new pump.

This is Doug, stuck with a dead injection pump. Bits of IP were heard tinkling into the sump. And it's raining.

The engine on a hoist. It's still raining.

The injection pump with all fuel pipes linkages, engine stop solenoid and inlet manifold removed. As I haven't got a Volvo service manual yet I didn't know what order to remove bits so I just dismantled everything. When the injection pump securing bolts are released [from IP top cover] the timing cam/cam follower springs physically push the IP off. This can be misleading as I assumed then that the pump was fully released and would just pull out. Wrong. There is still the control linkage which has a retaining spring holding it onto the IP. Once this is released the IP will pull out easily. In the case of my IP two of the cam followers with springs an retaining plates had dropped into the oil sump when I released the IP.

More photos to follow.

J

Comment

I cant see any of your pics Jack ? .. what browser are you using ?

Comment

looks like your posting a link that the forum wont accept for your images, have you tried uploading them?

Use this guide here

http://www.plantandconstruction.co.u...s-to-the-forum

Comment

Thanks Muz - I'll read that asap and sort it out.
                              J

Comment

Working...
                              X