Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Looking!!

Hi all,

I am still looking for a S/Hand Takeuchi TB 016 c/w Cab, but thats another story and another thread!

Can I have some advice on Plant Insurance, as there appears to be vast and conflicting costs out there!

For background, if and when I get my digger, I would only be looking for fire and theft type cover as I am just a DIYer and the machine will not be for hire and or reward and used only on mine or my sons property.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

John.

Hi again John

Re insurance, before you decide that you need it, can I suggest that you first assess the risk you/your machine is subject to, i.e. how likely is it to be stolen, be damaged by fire or cause public liability damage?

Being only transportable by trailer, a digger is unlikely to be driven away by an opportunist thief and being diesel the likelihood of self ignition is much less than petrol powered plant. Secure storage or lack of it will of course affect the potential risk factor.

If you are persuaded that fire and theft risk cover is worthwhile you might also consider including public liability cover. Recently an associate of mine who was helping a friend by digging a cable trench, cut through the water supply of a number of houses causing considerable un-insured repair expense to the person he was doing a favour for.

Of course, as the legal eagles say, each case must be judged on it's merits and maybe your future machine's use/environment/circumstances may be at a risk level that makes insurance worthwhile or not financially viable.

Rgds CL

Comment

Once again CL thanks for the advice.

I am probably shooting myself in the foot, but living in the Isle of Man the chances of the machine being nicked are very, very small!
      Everybody mostly knows each other and if you tried to ship it away well, you have next to no chance.

What I should have explained was, it is very likely my yet to be purchased machine will be coming from over the wet bit and being delivered to the docks in readiness for the trip to the Island and that is where my concerns are. Once its on the Island then my concerns are lifted.

I certainly have considered Public liability and will take this on board if and when I get one.

Thanks again.

John

P.S.I still am holding out for a TB 016

Comment

Would you not make it the responsibility of the seller to ship it to The little piece of Ireland you live on then you have no liability.

As for the PL definitely get it, if you hit a live cable then the utilities company can and do look for reimbursement, hit a fibre-optic and they could take your house and land and put you in penal servitude for life. Current rate here is 10k/ min and they must replace a kilometre at the time no mid line repairing.............

"In one legend, he is the creator of the Giant's Causeway, a peculiar series of volcanic rock formations on the coast of Ireland. One day, Finn grows angry when he hears that a Scottish giant is mocking his fighting ability. He throws a rock across the Irish Sea to Scotland; the rock includes a challenge to the giant.The Scottish giant quickly throws a message in a rock back to Finn, stating he can't take up the challenge because he can't swim to reach Ireland.
        Finn doesn't let the Scottish giant off so easily. He tears down great pieces of volcanic rock that lay near the coast and stands the pieces upright, making them into pillars that form a causeway that sretches from Ireland to Scotland. The giant now has to accept the challenge. He comes to Finn's house. Finn, masquerading as a 18-foot baby, bites the Scottish giant's hand and then chases him back to Scotland, flinging huge lumps of earth after him. One of the large holes he creates fills with water and becomes Lough Neagh, the largest lake in Ireland. One large lump of earth misses the giant and falls into the Irish Sea; this lump is now known as the Isle of Man."

http://www.ballycastle.info/info/finnmaccool.htm
        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Hi Stock, thanks for the information.

Thankfully the land I would be excavating on would be my own and there are no utilities on it; but I will be working no doubt on my sons propert and taht is a different matter so I will certainly consider your advice.

My mate in Co. Durham who is a drainage consultant/contractor was working/excavating for one of the genarating companies in the U.K.
          They gave him a document to say there were are no cables in the digging area, and, ...you guessed it he went through a big un!! Luckily for him there was no injuries nor comeback.

John

Comment

Working...
          X