Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible seized pin

Hi Guys
    not been around for some time, life getting in the way as usual, I've still got all the same toys in various states of repair. the ram on the upright boom of my jcb 801.4 has sprung a big leak, I can see some bad pitting on the shaft and I assume it's killed the seals. so this morning I decided to remove the ram so I can take it into town for repair. but I've hit snag already. previous owners have used all manor of different nuts and bolts. I've undone the hydraulic lines, removed the lower pin, but for love nor money I can't get the upper pin to budge, I've removed the small locating bolt that sits to one side. but I can't see anything else that will get in the way of it's removal.
    if anyone can give me some advice, it will be most welcome. I will post some pictures in the morning. I used to have the service manual courtesy of rob, but it was on an old laptop and is long since gone....

So this will be the boom lift or hoist ram at the rod eye end ? If so .. you can heat that to buggery and you are done
    Attached Files
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Don't think the manual will help you on this one Marty.
      It say's once you have removed the locking nut and bolt, drive out the pivot pin.
      Not much help when it doesn't want to.
      Anyway if you send me your email I will send you a copy of the manual, mine also came courtesy of rob.
      Just another thought, could you remove the locking gland from the barrel, this will get you to the seal, which you could then replace.
      All the best

Comment

thanks ginger/muz
        that's the pin i'm on about mate, I've been hitting it with a hefty club hammer, but it won't budge. i'm at a loss as to what to do next, this sounds odd, but in addition to hitting it with a hammer, I could try passing a metal cable through the hole where the locking bolt sits and pulling. i'll give that a try. i'll attach the other end of the cable to towbar on my pajero and put the cable under just a smidge of tension. then hit the bastid pivot pin as hard as I can
        not sure I have the tools needed to remove the locking gland. I've never done that before. can anyone suggest a good place to order the replacement seals from.

Comment

Marty , I would be looking at Upgrading the Size of the Hammer Lump hammer Ain't got the Oomph of a decent Sledge hammer .
          Try Hitting it back the other way .
          My Son was trying to get a track pin out of one of our dozers Said to him to try it the other way ,and it came straight out.
          I would look on Ebay , seems to be a lot of sellers doing seal kits for JCB .Just Bought one For my 8080 For the Blade .60mm by 110 mm ram and rod From Aftermarket dealer here in OZ A$44 .Did a boom slew one before xmas .50mm by 80mm i think got the seals from local hydraulic shop ,over 100 dollars . They have been put on the last resort list now .

Comment

this is the offending pivot pin, I didn't get the chance to have another go at it, i'll try again tomorrow, this time i'll use a sledge hammer and some heat.photo 4.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Comment

update

hi guys
              just a quick update, I managed to free the offending pivot pin using a sledge hammer and plenty of wd40. so I've now removed the main the ram with the damaged/worn seal.
              my next question is, where's the best place to buy a seal kit for it. the diggers a jcb 801.4.
              I can't see any kits on ebay. can anyone could point me in the right direction.....

Comment

Do you have a partsbook mate ?
                depending on the size of the ram ,it may be used on other machines , But the part number may be the same .

Comment

sadly I have no parts numbers

Comment

There are plenty of aftermarket seal suppliers out there, just tell them the make and model of your machine and they will be able to supply you. If you are nervous about getting the wrong kit then, perhaps JCB would be a better bet on this occasion. For consumable parts, sometimes the manufacturers arent that bad cost wise
                    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

According to the manual the bore is 50 mm (1.97"), the rod diameter is 30 mm (1.18")
                      This is the same for the Boom Dipper Bucket & Swing rams. HTH.

Comment

Working...
                      X