Ukjays International 620 Digger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
    As i know your not familiar with these machines .Bit of terminoligy for you Jay .Big wheel at the front is the idler , Toothy one at the back Sprocket .
    Little one{S} on the top are Carrier rollers .One under the track frame are rollers .
    Thanks Ian - will help me when I talk about various parts

I was asked today if my excavator was a Droit or a 360, so before I say a 360 (as in it rotates 360 degrees to a layperson) - is my train of thought correct?

Kind regards

Jay

Comment

As i know your not familiar with these machines .Bit of terminoligy for you Jay .Big wheel at the front is the idler , Toothy one at the back Sprocket .
      Little one{S} on the top are Carrier rollers .One under the track frame are rollers .
      .......................... an' the 'scoopy' bit's a bucket .... sorry Ian ..... couldn't resist
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ukjay View Post
        Thanks Ian - will help me when I talk about various parts

I was asked today if my excavator was a Droit or a 360, so before I say a 360 (as in it rotates 360 degrees to a layperson) - is my train of thought correct?

Kind regards

Jay
        well Jay ....... Drott did all sorts including tracked loading shovel type excavators ...... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dr...loading+shovel
        ...... which i think most ppl associate with the name Drott

few of the others here ... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dr...ih=642&dpr=0.9

.. of which there were many

you have a 360 tracked excavator ...... as opposed to my 360 wheeled excavator
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
          well Jay ....... Drott did all sorts including tracked loading shovel type excavators ...... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dr...loading+shovel
          ...... which i think most ppl associate with the name Drott

few of the others here ... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dr...ih=642&dpr=0.9

.. of which there were many

you have a 360 tracked excavator ...... as opposed to my 360 wheeled excavator
          Thanks Graham,

At least I am learning something something new everyday here

Kind regards

Jay

Comment

Well folks,

Update for today - ram on the idler has shot seals, the spring appears fine, but the chain is worn quite badly, and has stretched - so will need to invest in some new chains within the near future

Idler gone away to be repaired, and both tracks will have a link taken out to get me going again, then save for some new rims

Jay

Comment

Well, now I'm back in motion, I thought I would set too on the 'Farmers Sh*te' that they felt it was worthwhile spreading it all over the la, rather than paying to get it removed

First stage: remove all the waste from here:

20160806_163621.jpg

After all that digging, moved onto the Himalayas (an apt name we appointed for part of our land that you could never cut the grass, walk over without fracturing your ankles in a month of Sunday's - because the Barstuard's dumped a load more Sh*te there

I don't think the barstuard;s care for anything other than their own back pocket when they chucked all their crap around the property. Environment - ah feck it, I can save a couple of hundred if I dump all me crap on my land!!

20160806_163658.jpg 20160806_163710.jpg

Fruits of my labour:

20160806_163506.jpg

Holy Crap - I didn;t think I would get this much Sh*te from there!

Comment

riddle bucket and crusher required Jay

so how did you fare with the track refitting?

Comment

Friend of mine your side , buys in bricks and concrete. Tracks over it with his D6 to crush it up and uses it for hardstand . LIke Graham said screen the soil out of it track over it to break it up and make use of it .

Comment

riddle bucket and crusher required Jay

so how did you fare with the track refitting?
                    Hi Graham

I cannot tell a lie, the company who repaired the idler refitted the track for me, took a link out of it too as the ram was nearly at full extension. Saved me a bit of graft

They are going to price up another set of tracks for me, as they are shot (were like a snake slithering along the ground when they were moving it.

With regarss to the riddle bucket, I assume that is to remove all the hardcore to allow the soil to be put back down?

Comment

Friend of mine your side , buys in bricks and concrete. Tracks over it with his D6 to crush it up and uses it for hardstand . LIke Graham said screen the soil out of it track over it to break it up and make use of it .
                      Got to bury some cables etc first, then swmbo wants a flattish area to entertain folks so we can have barbies etc. Will look into one of them there riddle buckets, coz failing that, it's going to be power harrow time.

Comment

Well,

Been doing some works around the property as stated earlier, whereby today 'Rusty' decided it didn't like the bodged repair to the slew drive gearbox so spat it's dummy any snapped the welds and broke the fittings

Broken Bodge / Welding - also, on closer examination, someone has but a flat along one side which has sliced through a bolt etc??
                        20160825_120801.jpg

Pipe coupling broken (the pipe ont he top had been braised into the flange), to repair - I have drilled out the hole to 3/4 BSP and threaded to allow me to fit a new BSP fitting - seemed a lot easier than trying to find someone who could braise it back in, as I am not in possession of braising kit at the moment.

20160825_120843.jpg

One complete flange and the other with the spigot pulled out.

20160825_120832.jpg

catching the fluid until I returned with new fittings etc.

20160825_120808.jpg

Can't get on with repair yet - as it is Pi**ing down at the moment. It then need to weld up the motor again, but I will have to see what the top flange material is yet, as the weld had not penetrated very much, thus it was not very robust (hopefully just steel as it has been cut through in a previous era and not Cast Iron).
                        Also - I am looking at a more permanent repair, so some thinking needs to be done to make it more of a professional job.

Jay

Comment

Well,

Been doing some works around the property as stated earlier, whereby today 'Rusty' decided it didn't like the bodged repair to the slew drive gearbox so spat it's dummy any snapped the welds and broke the fittings

Broken Bodge / Welding - also, on closer examination, someone has but a flat along one side which has sliced through a bolt etc??
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3197[/ATTACH]

Pipe coupling broken (the pipe ont he top had been braised into the flange), to repair - I have drilled out the hole to 3/4 BSP and threaded to allow me to fit a new BSP fitting - seemed a lot easier than trying to find someone who could braise it back in, as I am not in possession of braising kit at the moment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3198[/ATTACH]

One complete flange and the other with the spigot pulled out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3200[/ATTACH]

catching the fluid until I returned with new fittings etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3199[/ATTACH]

Can't get on with repair yet - as it is Pi**ing down at the moment. It then need to weld up the motor again, but I will have to see what the top flange material is yet, as the weld had not penetrated very much, thus it was not very robust (hopefully just steel as it has been cut through in a previous era and not Cast Iron).
                          Also - I am looking at a more permanent repair, so some thinking needs to be done to make it more of a professional job.

Jay
                          Well Jay, aside from the total lack of penetration, the rods it has been welded with are, BTLs of it, 29/9 Ni Chrome rods, for welding dissimilar metals ..... http://www.gasweld.ie/product/bohler-cn-299-electrodes/ ....... https://www.weldequip.com/specials-electrode.htm ...... would not be my choice for the application and the joints haven't been vee-ed out at all. The parent material's given up the ghost and surrendered to fatigue ..... a 29/9 is normally an excellent repair rod and have welded a few lorry springs back together with 'em in me time and a few other miracles!!

That top plate as you say looks to be mild steel, so'd be looking at more conventional rods for a repair. From my memory of the pix I had of this, from the chap in Devon, who had her, the problem was at the base of this unit and looked to have come adrift from its bottom mount flange ......guessing this is an epicyclic drive and as such is going to need some very careful re-aligning into its original position and some very careful welding up, clamped very securely in place to prevent any movement or pulling, as its welded back into a firm location .... or the guts of it aren't going to be very happy if it isn't fully aligned.

I doubt that the box has any oil left in it either, which is not good.

The 'bit' that the oil is draining from looks to me like a cross line relief valve, which acts as a sort of bypass for the oil when the motion/motor stops being fed with oil and prevents the motor coming to a grinding halt, by allowing it to recirculate the oil contained within itself, until it stops moving.
                          Looks like it has stopped with a 'bang' .... possibly the cause of its first 'incident' which necessitated the bodged repair??????

I've a possible idea for a solution to your problem, but could do with a few more pix of the body/annulus and bottom flange .... looks to be cast, from what little I can see.

I would certainly be investigating this more thoroughly to establish why this has let go .... it's worked for several years that I know of, since it lived in Devon and before, so really does need a good shufty to see why???

Peeing down here too ..... and've had some pissy wet days this week, in fact since last Friday night, when it was torrential all night and the weekend was only marginally better.
                          Tuesday was lovely ...... but spent the day in the car ferrying the other half's elderly relatives to/from hospital appointments, so the day was shot.
                          Forecast is wall to wall blue sky tomorrow

Comment

Well Jay, aside from the total lack of penetration, the rods it has been welded with are, BTLs of it, 29/9 Ni Chrome rods, for welding dissimilar metals ..... http://www.gasweld.ie/product/bohler-cn-299-electrodes/ ....... https://www.weldequip.com/specials-electrode.htm ...... would not be my choice for the application and the joints haven't been vee-ed out at all. The parent material's given up the ghost and surrendered to fatigue ..... a 29/9 is normally an excellent repair rod and have welded a few lorry springs back together with 'em in me time and a few other miracles!!

That top plate as you say looks to be mild steel, so'd be looking at more conventional rods for a repair. From my memory of the pix I had of this, from the chap in Devon, who had her, the problem was at the base of this unit and looked to have come adrift from its bottom mount flange ......guessing this is an epicyclic drive and as such is going to need some very careful re-aligning into its original position and some very careful welding up, clamped very securely in place to prevent any movement or pulling, as its welded back into a firm location .... or the guts of it aren't going to be very happy if it isn't fully aligned.

I doubt that the box has any oil left in it either, which is not good.

The 'bit' that the oil is draining from looks to me like a cross line relief valve, which acts as a sort of bypass for the oil when the motion/motor stops being fed with oil and prevents the motor coming to a grinding halt, by allowing it to recirculate the oil contained within itself, until it stops moving.
                            Looks like it has stopped with a 'bang' .... possibly the cause of its first 'incident' which necessitated the bodged repair??????

I've a possible idea for a solution to your problem, but could do with a few more pix of the body/annulus and bottom flange .... looks to be cast, from what little I can see.

I would certainly be investigating this more thoroughly to establish why this has let go .... it's worked for several years that I know of, since it lived in Devon and before, so really does need a good shufty to see why???

Peeing down here too ..... and've had some pissy wet days this week, in fact since last Friday night, when it was torrential all night and the weekend was only marginally better.
                            Tuesday was lovely ...... but spent the day in the car ferrying the other half's elderly relatives to/from hospital appointments, so the day was shot.
                            Forecast is wall to wall blue sky tomorrow
                            Hi Graham,

When the unit let go - all that I was doing was turning to the right. I had just climbed into it and started her up and was going through the motions of checking all the movements are as they have been since we got her.

Checking the welds (I have taken the plate off the main boom now to investigate things further). And to say the weld was of poor quality is an understatement. It also appears to have had a repair on top of the original repair, whereby there is what I would call Pigeon Sh*t Welds

I will go and take some additional photos for you in the hope that you can help me fathom this one out - it would definitely be appreciated.

Comment

Hi Graham,

When the unit let go - all that I was doing was turning to the right. I had just climbed into it and started her up and was going through the motions of checking all the movements are as they have been since we got her.

Checking the welds (I have taken the plate off the main boom now to investigate things further). And to say the weld was of poor quality is an understatement. It also appears to have had a repair on top of the original repair, whereby there is what I would call Pigeon Sh*t Welds

I will go and take some additional photos for you in the hope that you can help me fathom this one out - it would definitely be appreciated.
                              Yeh...... welds didn't look great and getting penetration with low current 29/9s isn't easy
                              have a good look at the base of the anulus/body and see if it is, as I suspect, detached from the base plate/flange.
                              It'll need rotating back to it's exact fracture position to align all the guts of the epicyclic drive system and hopefully hasn't been 'ragged' too much by the previous catastrophes!!

I'll see what I can find in my HDs of the pix from Devon ... should hopefully still have 'em

Comment

Working...
                              X