Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterizing an excavator, any special advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing an excavator, any special advice?

Santa Claus is here in no time at all and that means lower temperatures. We might enjoy as cold as -30C even in the southern parts of Finland.

I have no plans to drive the -15 in those temperatures, but might do some slush and snow shoveling in the spring.

Any specific advice for winter operation a part from oils, filters etc.?

At those temps, correct oil viscosities and antifreeze would be my first concern, but I'm sure you'll be aware of that, dont take the colour of the antifreeze as a measure of its protection, you need to do a specific gravity test to determine its strength. Easily done though. Assuming your fuel is of decent quality it should pass through the filters ok, do you add anything extra to ensure that, at such low temps ? (ive seen me using petrol before now)

Also a good warm up time is essential, so, a run at mid revs for 10 minutes or so to get the hydraulics up to temp, then slowly move the rams, to mix the cold oil. And ofcourse remembering not to park in soft ground which later freezes

If you are leaving it out for any extended time Id also take the battery out and into a garage as the frost kills them
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Tnx,

I quess the coolant will be the most critical; need to check that. Another thing is to use winter diesel and keep the tank full to avoid water condensation.

funny thing happened today: I was moving some stones and leveling gravel at the end of the house. Some dude walked, a neighbour. Put the engine to idle and went to see the chap. He told he has an excavating job and asked if I could do some digging.

Never thought of digging for someone else, but thats what will happen when you keep the engine running: people hear it and will come

will see whether I do this, but the job would just 50meters away and could reach it without trailer.

Comment

In Scotland frost to -15 Deg happen about once every 5 years where I am, the more normal minimums will be -5 to -8 So using glycol based antifreeze I like to see the tester show protection to about -22 give or take its accuracy ,, What margin of error do you guys cover for ? and what is the type of antifreeze you guys use ?
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I've used 50% mix in everything for years Muz, since probably 1980, when we had some serious cold nights, down to -29C here and 33% was sludging in the rads/motors.

Keep a 20 ltr pre-mixed for top ups!

It was one seeeerious winter that year and had 5 ft of the white stuff, where I was living at the time .... it hardly ever saw rain, let alone snow!!

Glad we don't get them every year.

2010 was -14C here for two weeks and a good 2 feet of snow, but that's the worst we've had in ages
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Might see first flakes of snow here this afternoon most likely that will melt away, but there will be more.

Will purchase some winter diesel today and antifreeze coolant as well to top up the radiator.

Still some digging to do on the front yard.

Comment

White s**te on its way. Rest of the week will be below zero and wed. might enjoy 1st snowjob. 

Comment

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
                White s**te on its way. Rest of the week will be below zero and wed. might enjoy 1st snowjob. 
                Do you guys use glycol based antifreeze ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                  Do you guys use glycol based antifreeze ?
                  Yes, monoglykol it is. Green liquid mixed with water 50%.

Comment

Working...
                  X