No announcement yet.

Volvo EC15B - How to remove the side cover in the cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrated the 99.th indepence of Finland by taking the battery out. Now it is winter. Wiil put the battery back in Late April...early May when fun starts again.

Comment

My -15 blower works, but the air could be fresher. Will open the cover and try vacuuming the blower. Quess there's no filter?
      you must disassemble the housig and clean it inside wet. There will be a layer of dust which you canīt remove by a vacuum cleaner.

Comment

Ok - today it went on...

IMG_0365.jpg

The armrest is removed - so the cover can be pulled and the heating element can be removed. But at first you must disconnect one electric connector and the two waterpipes. At the pic you can see one reason for the heating failure: The parts of a broken glass pane has blocked the fan. But this was not the only failure.

IMG_0367.jpg

The heating element will be opened by pressing this noses - summary 8 - and pull the two halfes apart.

IMG_0369.jpg

The housing is opened. Inside were also parts of glass.

IMG_0372.jpg

Here the fan is laying on a Lego testbench. So the motor can be tested with the mounted fans. The Legoīs are about 50 years old...
        About the cables: Black is bulk; red is full power plus and yellow is plus with a resistor for lower blowing.

IMG_0375.jpg

Here you can see the second Problem: The crimped cable wasnīt positioned well. The Isolation was crimped. Sure - there were some braids but they were gone. I removed the Isolation and soldered the braids to the plug. To remove the plug out of the connector housing, you must press the little tongue of the plug so that it doesnīt stand out.

IMG_0379.jpg

Here we have the third problem: The resistor of the blowing stage 1 is build by this coil-wire. This is clamped to bushes - but they were rusty, so they canīt lead the current. They were irreparable.

IMG_0387.jpg

I replaced them by this selfmade solution: I drilled the bushes to clean them from solder. Then I put in screws with washers and wound the cable and coil-wire around the screw. Additionally circlips and loctide are used, because I will not be compelled to repeat the procedure in a few month again...

IMG_0388.jpg

the test on my Lego-testbench was sucessfully - the reassembling can be made.

IMG_0389.jpg

Below the binder I used a pice of gum to eliminate the sleckness.

IMG_0391.jpg

Here you can see the reassembled box and ... itīs working fine on both blowing stages....

Now the reassembling starts in the reverse direction as desribed above in the tread. So this thread will be finished except there will appear some unexpected problems which I will add.

Comment

@Muz

can be the title of the thread changed? "Volvo EC15B - How to repair the heating fan" would be a better title.

Comment

well done ...... satisfying finding and repairing a fault like that ..... a real PITA too !!
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
              Good stuff!

My -15 blower works, but the air could be fresher. Will open the cover and try vacuuming the blower. Quess there's no filter?
              Originally posted by wowe View Post
              you must disassemble the housig and clean it inside wet. There will be a layer of dust which you canīt remove by a vacuum cleaner.
              Sod the hoover .... I'd be giving it some with an air blaster/blow gun and 150 psi of air not a lot'd be stuck in there after that
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                Sod the hoover .... I'd be giving it some with an air blaster/blow gun and 150 psi of air not a lot'd be stuck in there after that
                Aye not even the fins.... Let alone the Norwegians
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                  Aye not even the fins.... Let alone the Norwegians
                  Well that was dry Muz.. Sahara dry!

Comment

well you'd obviously be giving it some .......with a modicum of discretion Muz ....150psi at point blank'd blow most of the contents out ..... whatever nationality they were

Comment

Thank you gentlemen .. engineers bad jokes
                      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Bad news: The heating is installed, the fan is blowing, but the air is cold. I let the motor run for at least 5 minutes, but the airstream was cold. I took a infrared heat meter and made a measurement.

IMG_0399.jpg

the fat pipe to the cooler has 55°C and the two thinner parallel pipes had 25°C. I assume, that these 2 pipes are the pipes, which go tho the cabin-heating. The heat adjusting lever in the cabin was full opened. The heat exchanger at the heating element was without water at the installing. But I expect, that it will refill itself.

So - does anybody see a point which I must execute for a proper work?

Regards wowe

Comment

Hmmm - I think both parallel pipes canīt be the the pipes for the heating - bacause they are side by side connected. So no water would flow.

Comment

usually one from pump and the other from the block for a heater core
                            take a pipe off and bleed the air out of the core .... sounds air locked, with that big a differential in the hose temp.s.
                            is there a valve somewhere to turn the water supply off for summer use?

Comment

is there a valve somewhere to turn the water supply off for summer use?
                              In the cabin for the regulation of the heating - but it is full opened. If I had a suitable manual I would know how to process. Tomorrow I try to find the right hoses, which come from the cabin. Then I will fill water in one of them, until it returns in the other.

Comment

The heater uses both those pipes, you have an air lock and need to purge it ( if you are sure the valve is open ok)

Comment

Working...
                                X