Where can i find one of these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can i find one of these?

Here is my heater motor taken out from the JCB 801.4 mini digger, it does work then slows down and smokes . I am thinking it may need a replacement- anybody any ideas where to get a recon or new one from please?

Also for info just bought some filters from Rico Europe from ebay and learnt its cheaper to go direct to their web site and order direct, plus I learnt to my cost that 8014 filters are different to 801.4 except the diesel filter.

Have you tried some WD40 onto the shaft with it running, sometimes this can help.
    Sorry don't know where you find a replacement, but someone will be along soon who does, I'm sure.

In what way were your filters different? a couple of pics of both may help someone else from falling into the same trap.

How is the digging going?

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
      Have you tried some WD40 onto the shaft with it running, sometimes this can help.
      Sorry don't know where you find a replacement, but someone will be along soon who does, I'm sure.

In what way were your filters different? a couple of pics of both may help someone else from falling into the same trap.

How is the digging going?
      It stopped altogether now Ginger so hoping someone has a contact although I may see if I can find a local motor electrician as it could be brushes though it does make a clicking noise rotating it.

As for the filters , I made the mistake of ordering for an 8014 with Perkins 103.1 ( which is my engine) but then found that 8014 and 801.4 have different filters even though same engine. The Air filter on the 8014 is a single unit whereas mine 801.4 has an outer with a canister end and butterfly screw and a separate inner filter. The oil filter for 8014 is a smaller diameter and longer than 801.4.

Not dug a thing yet as waiting for fields to dry up

Comment

Looks like a big case for a small fan which suggests the motor and bearings are generously proportioned, if you could get it apart , it might be a simple fix
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

looks very much to me like a std old Smiths heater fan motor, found in just about any car of a certain age ...... like the 60,s/ 70,s /early 80,s and earlier

My dad used to make me Meccano motors out of 'em .... solder two angle flange feet onto the body and run it, to file the 1/4" spindle down to 1/8" to take Meccano drive cogs.
          I may even still have a few in me big box of Meccano in the attic .... in fact thinking about it .... think there's one hiding in one of me boxes I'll have a look tomorrow.
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
            looks very much to me like a std old Smiths heater fan motor, found in just about any car of a certain age ...... like the 60,s/ 70,s /early 80,s and earlier

My dad used to make me Meccano motors out of 'em .... solder two angle flange feet onto the body and run it, to file the 1/4" spindle down to 1/8" to take Meccano drive cogs.
            I may even still have a few in me big box of Meccano in the attic .... in fact thinking about it .... think there's one hiding in one of me boxes I'll have a look tomorrow.
            Well identified Sir, I have looked and it is indeed a Smiths!

thanks

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
              Well identified Sir, I have looked and it is indeed a Smiths!

thanks

Mike

Now you just need to find a few old motors (cars) to have a look in ..... I'd guess that Morris Marinas would've been about the last things to get a generic type of Smiths fitted .... but even that may be too young

Old Austins, Morris,s, etc. would be a good starting point ...... I have seen that tri-point mount before and trying to recall what in ..... it may come to me
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Now you just need to find a few old motors (cars) to have a look in ..... I'd guess that Morris Marinas would've been about the last things to get a generic type of Smiths fitted .... but even that may be too young

Old Austins, Morris,s, etc. would be a good starting point ...... I have seen that tri-point mount before and trying to recall what in ..... it may come to me

Sorted - found a Triumph Stag breaker near us who had a similar though not identical motor ( £10) and whilst it didn't have a tri point mount it had a dual mount that dismantled and swapped over quite easily on a locating lug,then realise the shaft was 5/16 not 1/4 so drilled out the fan and it fitted and worked. There was one on ebay from a MG Midget for £25 that looked identical ( except the fan) and that would have been my next step if this hadn't have worked.

Its surprising that JCB were still using them in the 90's and we are replacing them with motors from the 70'S.

Comment

Sorted - found a Triumph Stag breaker near us who had a similar though not identical motor ( £10) and whilst it didn't have a tri point mount it had a dual mount that dismantled and swapped over quite easily on a locating lug,then realise the shaft was 5/16 not 1/4 so drilled out the fan and it fitted and worked. There was one on ebay from a MG Midget for £25 that looked identical ( except the fan) and that would have been my next step if this hadn't have worked.

Its surprising that JCB were still using them in the 90's and we are replacing them with motors from the 70'S.

Excellent news ...... they were a good solid, powerful lil' motor and usually ran forever ..... as long as they didn't get wet ..... didn't think of the Stags!
                  dare say most of the triumph range'd have been fitted with 'em, in that case ..... big old tin box of a heater/blower unit .... good ol' BL ... could rely on them for using the oldest things in the parts dept., to create with

Comment

Excellent news ...... they were a good solid, powerful lil' motor and usually ran forever ..... as long as they didn't get wet ..... didn't think of the Stags!
                    dare say most of the triumph range'd have been fitted with 'em, in that case ..... big old tin box of a heater/blower unit .... good ol' BL ... could rely on them for using the oldest things in the parts dept., to create with
                    thanks for your help because identifying the motor was the key to getting it sorted

Comment

I do like a repair/fix like that and I did have a lol about such an antique in a reasonably modern jake
                      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

thanks for your help because identifying the motor was the key to getting it sorted
                        'Swhat it's all about here ... and in life TBH .... a little help goes a long way, when it's the right kind

Comment

Hi Mike,

Try Digger parts ltd (ebay) for your filter around £20.I paid 75 euro for mine and then found Digger parts - really upsetting, best of luck with your heater fan. I do not have one in mine, so you are fortunate, however there are take offs on the engine to have a heater matrix so I may fit one one day

Comment

Working...
                          X