Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely ate out thread on hydraulic cylinder

Hello,

I bought an excavator and I wanted to swap one of the hoses but after disconnecting old one I realised that thread on hydraulic cylinder is completely gone.

I was thinking about cutting off remaining thread and welding new 1/4" ending, but I have a problem with sourcing one. For example:
    https://www.bes.co.uk/screwed-weldin...50lb-1-4-14472

I found above one but it's just a threaded pipe not BSPP special one with this curve inside - does this matter? Also, it's rate for 10 bars which is just silly...

Could you please help? Maybe it could be fixed somehow without welding?

Thanks in advance for any advice / help!

You can see where the adapter was welded on your original pipe, so your method is correct, cut off the old one and weld on a new one. In principle your new adapter looks fine except it is stainless, which you do not want, as your ram pipe with just be mild steel. The easier option would just be to get a 1/4 BSP male/male adapter and cut off the threaded section on one side with a disk and weld on the remaining part. It might be anodised but don't worry about that it will just burn off as you weld. Getting a good circular weld without holes is the hard part, make sure you thoroughly clean away any oils and drain the ram before you start for best results, if you've done it right it will be strong enough to take the pressure, but as is often the case, sometimes you get left with a pin hole, so as a rule, once Ive welded something like that up, I will layer it 2 or 3 times to ensure a good seal.

and welcome also
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Sure it is not a fitting screwed into the ram ? I would get a spanner on than Hex and see if it screws out . Makes an easy job of it if it doES .

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
        Sure it is not a fitting screwed into the ram ? I would get a spanner on than Hex and see if it screws out . Makes an easy job of it if it doES .
        You could be right ther fella

Mostly I see pipes with female fittings these days .... aint no hex on there though ? ... so it aint comin out without a fight if it is male
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
        X