Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pel job 25.4 puma & stop solenoid

Hi all,
    1996 model that has been a wonderful asset around our 20 acres, which it never leaves.
    So glad and grateful to discover this forum and in particular the list of puma fault codes. Confirmed what was becoming obvious - a fault with the stop solenoid.
    Just buy a new one, easily sorted. Nope, no difference. Checked fuse, relays and wiring as far as my limited electrical abilities go.. No joy.
    Off down to the local emporium and sourced a brass stop-off fitting with the same thread. Hole drilled, bit of brass tube soldered in with nut and bolt through with a spring on the outside between the bolt head and fitting. Hey presto, manual stop solenoid. Got used to the minor pain of having to lift the bonnet to stop it. Wish I could find and cut the wire to the friggin beeper.
    It has a few other little foibles, but still does sterling duty.
    Must admit my one concern when we bought it was that it had a brain. I have a lot of sympathy with the great Barry Sheene’s dictum when asked about going on a horse “ I won’t ride anything that’s got a brain of its own.”
    We also have an ancient Komatsu FD20 forklift, saved from the scrap heap and renovated by our wonderful local engineer. When he handed it over he said, “I’ve ripped out all of the electrics except the heater plugs and starter, that’s all you need.” No problems on that side in 20 years.

Welcome Keethy ..sounds like youve had your troubles like the rest of us ! At least you got a work around .. and glad to be of service..... Perhaps you missed a point Ive made before that the puma system of that era relies heavily on various earth points all over the machine, think theres about 5 or 6 and a main one inside the cab. If any or some of them are poor, the units throw up error codes and fault for no reason. But of course if its been lobotomised, that wont be an issue
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Muz , Lack of wiring was on the forklift , not the excavator

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
        Muz , Lack of wiring was on the forklift , not the excavator
        Sorry yes I mis read that
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

A more determined search of the earth points is in order when I get a minute. Thanks for the input!

Comment

And my 1963 David Brown 880 (rare 4 cylinder) doesn’t even have heater plugs and still starts first time. Charging system hasn’t worked for 30 years. Rotate the trickle charger.

Comment

Ive got a similar problem, was out cleaning a choked drain then the frost came so the machine was stood in the field for a couple of weeks, when we came back to it it wouldn't start, so we rigged up a direct feed from the battery to get going but the PUMA throws up a code FC12 which I think is fuse to panel, all fuses good but panel illuminates at key position 1 but when put into start the panel goes out. The slew offset button has stopped working and I think the heater plugs are off too. Checked the relays below the seat, one had a rusted connection so replaced but still nothing.
              I actually tracked the wiring throughout, floor out, plates off etc thinking a little something had chewed through a wire, but cant find anything. Puma and machine all seemed electrically good until the frost???

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                Welcome Keethy ..sounds like youve had your troubles like the rest of us ! At least you got a work around .. and glad to be of service..... Perhaps you missed a point Ive made before that the puma system of that era relies heavily on various earth points all over the machine, think theres about 5 or 6 and a main one inside the cab. If any or some of them are poor, the units throw up error codes and fault for no reason. But of course if its been lobotomised, that wont be an issue
                Any chance you could point out where the earth points are please, that'd be very helpful

Comment

Working...
                X