Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KX41, Mice, Radiator Hoses

Hi,
    Mice have been at my KX41 and have eaten some of the radiator hoses. It's an original KX41 (not -2 or -3) with D1105 engine. Couple of questions, firstly where is the best place to get hoses for a machine of that age? I've asked L&S but presume won't hear back from them until Monday at least. Ideally I think I should replace all of them as I can't bank on anything disconnecting without damage.

In the picture I've attached 060 is the one squirting, that's the smaller one that comes from the bottom rear of the radiator and disappears underneath somewhere or other. The lower hose 020 is also chewed but possibly not actually leaking. Top hose 010 may be OK, but probably makes sense to replace anyway.

The other small ones 040 and 050 don't appear to exist. From what I can see with it all assembled (not much!) 060 seems to go under the radiator and connect to "something" there. I can't see another hose coming off that "something". Could that be something like a feed for a heater, which we don't have? In which case could I dispense with 060 and just blank off the radiator outlet?

Second I could do with some advice on the process given these are all inaccessible. Is the idea to disconnect the hoses from the engine, and remove the radiator with hoses attached to get access? Can the radiator even be removed, or do I have to remove the engine and get at them that way (I really hope not).

Hoses Screenshot_36.png

Thanks, Tony S

Done a bit more digging. The mystery hose that I thought didn't exist (040/050) does in fact exist, for some reason I thought it routed the other side of the engine, but in actual fact it's the same side in between the oil filter and the starter motor. The "something" that they both connect to 080 appears to solely exist to give a convenient drain point, in fact on the KH parts list (I don't have a KX list) the mouse hose and mystery hose are both identified as "HOSE DRAIN"

So if they are purely for draining I wonder if I actually need them. For a quick fix could I just connect a bit of normal coolant hose between the radiator spigot (A) and the engine (B), or would this mess up the cooling circulation in some way?

Looking further to fix properly, I can't work out how to get the radiator out. The shroud on the back means it can't be taken out sideways or upwards as the shroud stops it moving past the fan. And the shroud looks like it's fixed with bolts at either side of the radiator some of which can't be accessed with the radiator in place. I don't think the fan can be removed either.

Radiator Drain Screenshot_36.png Engine Drain Screenshot_36.png

Comment

The bottom Rad hose chaffs on the fan belt which causes the leak .. keeping the belt tight helps prevent this. Yes getting the rad out is a hassle but it can be done
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
      X