Safe working angles with a Volvo EC15B mini digger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stock View Post
    I think you got the wrong end of the stick there Jack, a very big thing in all of this is a persons perception of risk.....

....As for a 1:1, you might track straight up or down it but not work on it.
    Gotcha . I had misunderstood - only cos I saw F.John working at those kind of angles. Mind you, when I say '30 degrees' it is only an estimate, and in the heat of battle (and the gloating post-match reckoning) it may have been over-egged a bit. Interesting. Tomorrow I will measure the slopes with a digital level and post some photos.

Just going slightly off topic now - were you trained professionally from scratch or did you teach yourself...or a combination of both?

...that could be a new thread ....it would be interesting to know how many members on P&C are trained plant operators from scratch as opposed to select-taughties ....

Comment

Self taught , but even to this day I still watch operators to see if they have a trick to learn.................
      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        ?..
        and the next most common is people using off set whilst pulling at something which suddenly gives way, and because the whole machines balance is not something the inexperienced can easily fathom, over she goes
        ...the picture that is appearing is that smaller minis are twitchier than, say, a 3 tonner upwards? F.John said something like that - he drove Doig for the first time yesterday and said it was a "....twitchy little #%€@*...." but he also said it had a lot of power, which I had thought was odd as he is used to his 3 tonner which must blow the EC15 away any day of the week.

BTW Muz, does the overload warning lamp ....err......warn of an impending CoG failure?

Comment

Self taught. I started working on the shovel first, you appreciated a good driver on the machine as they would not leave as much shoveling for you to do.

I couldn't agree more with Stock , I love seeing other drivers work in case I can pick up something new. Never too old to learn a new trick. I like seeing keen new drivers too and will always give them any help I can as I had a couple of good journeymen in my time that kept me right.

Vin

Comment

Self taught , but even to this day I still watch operators to see if they have a trick to learn.................
            Thats encouraging for an amateur like moi..

Do you have any rules of thumb (like Vins built in lower body early warning system) that have served you well?

Comment

Vin and Stock.

I don't know anything about qualifications/paperwork for being 'insurable on-site' or legit or whatever you proper plant operators are, so did you get paperwork off your own backs or an alternative route?

Comment

Hmmmmmmm .............grandfather rights for me I'm afraid........... but I've invested quite a bit in other areas............

Comment

Hmmmmmmm .............grandfather rights for me I'm afraid........... but I've invested quite a bit in other areas............
                  ....like...........?

Comment

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
                    ....like...........?
                    A grandfather clause is a situation in which an old rule continues to apply to some existing situations, while a new rule will apply to all future situations.

Comment

Vin and Stock.

I don't know anything about qualifications/paperwork for being 'insurable on-site' or legit or whatever you proper plant operators are, so did you get paperwork off your own backs or an alternative route?
                      I Also got my paperwork by grandfathers rights , I was originally covered on most plant but I had to drop some categories for financial reasons .
                      Most big construction firms look for CSCS cards (CITB) this is the one I have . I don't think it is a legal requirement though and I know other recognized bodies are about as a lad who works for me has dumper tickets gained elsewhere.

Vin

Comment

Hi Jim...so do other EX15-2 operators in general think it is less stable than, say, the Jake you have now?

BTW....did you hurt yourself?
                        Never hurt myself other than my pride!

i don't know anyone else who owns an EX15-2 but the jcb is far more stable with the adjustable track base and it can be made a foot wider in each side which makes a big difference!!

Comment

That's good to hear Jim, though what a minor injury is to a Scotsman is probably a life threatening catastrophe to anyone else......

I measured the slope is working on today.....11 degrees..........

,,,,?.

......pathetic

Comment

That's good to hear Jim, though what a minor injury is to a Scotsman is probably a life threatening catastrophe to anyone else......

I measured the slope is working on today.....11 degrees..........

,,,,?.

......pathetic
                            If it was my digger I'd rather a pilot with your attitude on it better the job takes a wee while longer with the digger still in one piece at the end of it

Comment

Originally posted by Vinpetrol View Post
                              If it was my digger I'd rather a pilot with your attitude on it better the job takes a wee while longer with the digger still in one piece at the end of it
                              Thanks Vin.............still, 11 degrees seems scary.........

11 degrees.....jpg

Comment

5.8.2 Gradient of a ramp
                                A ramp should have the lowest practical gradient within the
                                range 1:20 to 1:12.

This is the spec from BS8300:2009/2010 for disabled access. Given the measure of the slope as being 11 degrees this is approx a 1:20 ratio slope and as such the maximum upper range for a disabled access ramp..........

So an 11 degree s
                                lope is safe enough for a wheelchair but not for Doug the Digger....................

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X