A Cheap Dump Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Cheap Dump Truck

With the continued saga of the building of the CPHQ, I have desired many things. Snowplows, dump trucks, various new large and small hand tools, etc.. You all understand and can sympathize. In my case, I do have a small LaPlante Choate C-24 scraper for soil movement about the site. It is about 2 - 2 1/2 yards capacity, but I would need to pull it with one of my crawlers. The trouble is the borrow site is clear across the field (about 1,200 feet away) and it would be far more economical to use a small dumper to move the piles. I really don't need another truck to maintain and register. My current pickup is rated about 1-1/2 tons, but it has a short bed with a crossover tool box taking up about 30 inches of the 6 foot, 6 inch length. Therefore, a slide in dumper would require a major shift in the way I transport tools.

The other day, I came across a dealer who had a small fleet of 2-1/2 CuYd Rubbermaid material handling carts. They were second hand, but the image he posted on facebook gave the impression that they were in splendid shape. I contacted the fellow and requested information about the width of the hopper to see if it would roll between the wheel wells of the pickup bed. When he called back, he obviously did not perform the requested measurements, but I suspected the narrower bottom of the hopper would indeed fit. Here is a link to one for sale on the web http://www.cometsupply.com/mp/RUBBER...P1046BLA/r/ga/ Naturally, prices vary wildly, but the asking price for the used hoppers was $244 US. I figured that was a very small price as opposed to new, so a grain of salt was added to my inquiry. Prior to making the trip to Kankakee (50 miles one way), I investigated the seller's website and found a "Specials" tab. Upon clicking it, I found a listing for the very same hoppers, albeit a little worse for wear, priced at $124 US. When I called the fellow to ask the difference, he brushed the question aside. He informed me he would not be there when I arrived, but another fellow could help.

Upon my arrival 50 minutes later, I saw the remaining 2 hoppers surrounded by a small lake, the remnants of last night's thunderstorms. I asked if they could "float" one out of the deep puddle. From a distance, I picked the one which looked the better. It had obviously been abused. The metal cage surrounding the heavy molded hopper was bent and broken in a few places, distorting the hopper. The steering casters had obviously been replaced more recently, as they were wobble-free and turned easily. Regardless, the heavy plastic hopper (about 3/8 inch thick) was solid with no holes or cracks. I measured the base of the hopper and it was well within the dimension between the wheel wells. Once it was hoisted upon my bed, it rolled easily between the wells and nestled snugly between the rolled up tonneau cover and the closed tailgate. To make the transaction easier to conclude, the fellow left in charge, under my suggestion to "check their own website", honored the price of $124 even though the owner had indicated that was not the right price.

With a few new pieces of 3/4" rod to repair the broken supports, I will have a tipper that I can load with my small John Deere and manually dump. It will also serve to manage my jobsite waste as I can load it with construction debris and motor over to the transfer station for a fraction of the cost of a dumpster without the time limit or obstruction.

That's kinda neat Bruce, but have you ever thought about getting a dump trailer for your quad? I bought one last year for around the yard and hauling firewood off the frozen river and so far it's worked pretty good and has a fair bit of capacity and a removable tailgate front and back for oversize loads and a simple latch mechanism for tipping that can be locked into place if need be.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...ft-ATV-Trailer

And if you don't have Princess Auto in the U.S. Northern Tool offers several different types some with plastic bodies.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...=ATV%2Btrailer

Comment

...gotta see a picture of this Bruce - I got visions of an old bathtub rattling around on the back of a small flat bed

Comment

For some reason ,I completely missed this Thread until now .As Jack said ,Some photos would be good Bruce .

Comment

Mind you all, this is not going to be pretty. I need to replace the tube that surrounds the hopper at the top and center. A little welding here and there and I think it will work nicely. I loaded it back up into the truck to transport to the CPHQ and snapped this pic. What I like about this hopper is that I can tip it way over at perhaps a 45 degree angle (or more) and the frame still supports it. I think it will shed a load of fill without too much extra help in the form of a shovel or rake. The downside is that it sits too high in the bed of my truck. Loading will require the tractor is elevated on a ramp or the truck be park in a depression. I am anxious to try it regardless. I will make sure to update as we go along.
          Attached Files

Comment

...Nice one Bruce......reminds me of an old joke from the 80's/90's:

..."What d'you call an open-topped Skoda/Lada?.....

..a skip"

Comment

UMmmmm.Bruce ,I see on Facebook you comments on one of your friends pickup ,with 2 yards of soil in the back..Your 2 yards is going to sit further back than his was . It looked like his bumper was going to drag all the way home .

Comment

Bruce , You thought about something like this ?
                http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=5992

Comment

That's a pretty neat trailer Ian I could use something like that from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                    UMmmmm.Bruce ,I see on Facebook you comments on one of your friends pickup ,with 2 yards of soil in the back..Your 2 yards is going to sit further back than his was . It looked like his bumper was going to drag all the way home .
                    Ian, that truck was a 1/2 ton rated pickup. Mine is actually rated with a GVW of 9200 lbs. I have roughly about 2200 to play with. I certainly am not going to load this thing up with 2 cubic yards of anything. I will never be able to tip it up. I won't be afraid to load it up with construction debris however. I like the trailer you posted, I just didn't want to spend $3000 on one, not yet at least.

Comment

Working...
                    X