Log Splitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's some great brain fodder there
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      There's some great brain fodder there

I know got some idears there me self
      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Well after fixing the knife back on, and splitting some more, then it was time to put the kindler knife on and fill a bucket with that, that done, Ive enough wood for a good while, and tonnes split and drying for the winter, but odd times its been so cold, I still have to put the stove on yet .. middle of may too ! .. anyway I thought its time to pull the pushing head apart and examine it for strengthening, as I could see play becoming evident on it.

IMG_3271[1].jpg IMG_3272[1].jpg

All I did when I made it was to bolt on two bits of angle underneath with a couple of bolts either side to hold the pushing face onto the H beam, but as more play got into the assembly they started to flex with the forces being applied so I need to beef this up

IMG_3274[1].jpg

I think I'll need to invest in one of those mag mount milling machines, as my pillar drill isnt up to these hole sizes
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Heres the new skid plate

IMG_3277[1].jpg

Its inverted on a test beam .. now I need to make the bottom clamps to bolt onto it .. its a thicker base and full length side blocks so should handle power much better

Comment

I think I'll need to invest in one of those mag mount milling machines, as my pillar drill isnt up to these hole sizes
            BOOYA !

IMG_3283[1].jpg

Does up to 40 mm cut which should do me !

And already put to good use

IMG_3282[1].jpg New skid plate of a considerably heavier make up !

Maybe my projects will stop looking like something off the farm bench from here on in !

Comment

BOOYA !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2499[/ATTACH]

Does up to 40 mm cut which should do me !

And already put to good use

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2500[/ATTACH] New skid plate of a considerably heavier make up !

Maybe my projects will stop looking like something off the farm bench from here on in !
              Looks nice Muz - Rotabroach or Jancy?

Used to have a little Alfra, which were always good kit - didn't bother to keep the lil' 'un and IIRC had as much for it as it cost me .

38mm mag drill (3).JPG 38mm mag drill (2).jpg

Plenty of coolant on the broaches Boyo to keep 'em alive and sharp and not just water - soluble oil for lube as well as keeping 'em cool
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                Looks nice Muz - Rotabroach or Jancy?

Used to have a little Alfra, which were always good kit - didn't bother to keep the lil' 'un and IIRC had as much for it as it cost me Plenty of coolant on the broaches Boyo to keep 'em alive and sharp and not just water - soluble oil for lube as well as keeping 'em cool
                YA .. its got a bottle I've used engine oil in, although I did ask about cutting oil .. but the dudes in the shop pretty much say it should do ok, just smokes a bit Ive found,so I back off at that ... plus .. the feed line is too long, and not letting enough oil fast enough to the cutter, but I guess its made that way for folks who use longer bits than I have

Comment

YA .. its got a bottle I've used engine oil in, although I did ask about cutting oil .. but the dudes in the shop pretty much say it should do ok, just smokes a bit Ive found,so I back off at that ... plus .. the feed line is too long, and not letting enough oil fast enough to the cutter, but I guess its made that way for folks who use longer bits than I have
                  It's smoking cos it's getting too hot Muz - cutters are bluing too I'd guess and losing the hardness/sharpness - It's imperative with broaches to keep 'em cool and flooded with soluble

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/ss...+oil&ACTION=Go

Most hydraulics places should keep it - my local one always had it on the shelf - mix as directed to a milky fluid.

Easiest way to feed the cutter's port is with a pressure bottle like a garden spray bottle - pump it up and connect with a small pipe to the coolant port, which usually has a tap to control flow - much easier than the pissy bottles they supply with the mags.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/33150...f14=108&ff19=0

If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

No .. temp was fine.. As I mentioned I backed off pressure if I was concerned . The oil flow was not correct at first due to the delivery tube being too long but I kept an eye on the colour of the swarf deliberately and it was fine , as is the cutter.. The oil feed actually works well on this rig now.. Mind it wasn't the first problem I had with it, one of the three levers wouldn't screw into the gear control for lowering the chuck, and I had to run a 8x1.25 die over its threads first, not a good start, but all is well now

Comment

No .. temp was fine.. As I mentioned I backed off pressure if I was concerned . The oil flow was not correct at first due to the delivery tube being too long but I kept an eye on the colour of the swarf deliberately and it was fine , as is the cutter.. The oil feed actually works well on this rig now.. Mind it wasn't the first problem I had with it, one of the three levers wouldn't screw into the gear control for lowering the chuck, and I had to run a 8x1.25 die over its threads first, not a good start, but all is well now
                      Trust me - Soluble is the way to go and so's the pressure bottle - POP to use - put the tube into the push fit fitting in the drill's port, tap in the line to control flow and you're away - your broaches'll last 3 or 4 times longer!!

Comment

It's smoking cos it's getting too hot Muz - cutters are bluing too I'd guess and losing the hardness/sharpness - It's imperative with broaches to keep 'em cool and flooded with soluble

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/ss...+oil&ACTION=Go

Most hydraulics places should keep it - my local one always had it on the shelf - mix as directed to a milky fluid.

Easiest way to feed the cutter's port is with a pressure bottle like a garden spray bottle - pump it up and connect with a small pipe to the coolant port, which usually has a tap to control flow - much easier than the pissy bottles they supply with the mags.
                        No .. temp was fine.. As I mentioned I backed off pressure if I was concerned . The oil flow was not correct at first due to the delivery tube being too long but I kept an eye on the colour of the swarf deliberately and it was fine , as is the cutter.. The oil feed actually works well on this rig now..
                        Well you were right fella swarf looked fine as did the cutter, but she wasnt cutting worth a monkeys this afternoon. The oil supply wasnt constant enough, and I was swift enough to add extra, but it has blunted the broach, so I will get on with the pressure bottle plan.. thanks for the tip, I'll get some cutting fluid at the same time.

On the plus side .. I fully expected to have to send the cutter away to be sharpened as it has a dual bevel cutting surface, but you know what ? I put on me specs and re faced the outer bevels, as I cant get into the inner angles, and she's cutting like a beast all over again

Comment

Well you were right fella swarf looked fine as did the cutter, but she wasnt cutting worth a monkeys this afternoon. The oil supply wasnt constant enough, and I was swift enough to add extra, but it has blunted the broach, so I will get on with the pressure bottle plan.. thanks for the tip, I'll get some cutting fluid at the same time.

On the plus side .. I fully expected to have to send the cutter away to be sharpened as it has a dual bevel cutting surface, but you know what ? I put on me specs and re faced the outer bevels, as I cant get into the inner angles, and she's cutting like a beast all over again
                          Aldi do a decent little 5 litre pressure bottle sprayer for about seven quid. Bin the spray nozzle, add a longer pipe - job done.
                          You were well lucky with the broach sharpening - must've caught it just right. Worth collecting up a few to re-sharpen as it's as as easy to do a batch as set up for one or two.

Maltby Punch & Die - Charles and Russel De Silva always used to do me good service and were real cheap on new cutters, punches and dies for my XS115 Kingsland and Alfra hand held,s too. Plus they'd always make up specials as needed.
                          Good guys to deal with.

This is a reasonable figure for soluble, but if you've a local supplier they ought to beat it due to the shipping cost (which is included on this one)! Plus you'll get 20% back with the VAT
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUBESOL-NP...3D350869303147

Comment

Forgot to say that the conventional oil will block up the swarf ejection from the lands and increase heat build up/friction - the soluble will wash it away, whilst cooling and lubing with a steady flow.

A tray under the job, to catch the bulk is handy, as it's totally re-usable and in m/c tools is just re-cycled through the machine's cooling system

Comment

Forgot to say that the conventional oil will block up the swarf ejection from the lands and increase heat build up/friction - the soluble will wash it away, whilst cooling and lubing with a steady flow.

A tray under the job, to catch the bulk is handy, as it's totally re-usable and in m/c tools is just re-cycled through the machine's cooling system
                              Aye .. I see that in some machine shops .. do they just settle it to remove stuff, or filter it ?

Comment

Aye .. I see that in some machine shops .. do they just settle it to remove stuff, or filter it ?
                                Depends on the machine/application really Muz - high flow, like a machining centre is usually filtered. A drill or lathe is more often just settled in a catch tray, course mesh filtered and then eventually collected back into a sump.
                                Only fine particles are going to be suspended in the coolant - steel swarf don't float too well

Comment

Working...
                                X