Thwaites Goliath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thwaites Goliath

Hi fellas, I'm in a bit of a fix! Iv a Thwaites Goliath 8t Dumper that has lay down on me. The other day when brakeing down a hill with a full load of stones on there was a loud bang out the front Axel. After a bit of surgery she had smashed the three years in the plantery gear plus a few teeth off the centre gear After talking to Aiden (CPS 140) I called with TBF Thompson our Thwaites dealer who surprise himself and me that the parts were still available. The big problem was the price..... Make sure your setting down . the three g ears £199 each , don't know what the centre one was, then there was 300 needle bearings at £1.50 EACH!! Plus vat. Plus seals etc oil & labour which I'd hopefully do myself. Total costs somewhere kicking the heels of 2Grand!!!!
    After checking the drum in which I'd washed all the parts in there were NO needles so if that hub was that far shot what are the other three like?
    I don't want to spend money like its falling off the trees but I like my aul gal to much to send her to the slaughter house!
    The burning question is what to do? Do I try and make a bit of a Frankenstein's Munster? I know that the wheels will fit a Leyland Freighter axel (that's another story) and could I butcher in a set if rear axels? And what about the gearing?
    After all this big rant, what's your thoughts??
    Thanks Geoff

Attached Thumbnails

What are the chances someone else has had the same problem as you ? ... but decided to park it up . have a look about and see if you can find one and get the axle off it ? .. are the axles/hubs interchangeable ? front one reversed for rear etc
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I had a diff failure on a terex 9t dumper back in the spring, it was cheaper to buy a reconditioned axle than to rebuild the diff. I sourced one from plant engineering in Exeter.

Comment

Working...
      X