Bought me a snow plough!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
    Sounds like it should suit the purpose well Jim .
    Yeah I think so too. I dropped it off at the blacksmiths so he said he will modify it no problems! He is going to fit heavy duty castors on to it to save the rubbers. So I will hopefully get it back soon and get a meeting with the man from the local council about clearing snow on the roads!

Comment

Yeah sounds like a good plowing combination Jim hope your able to get some good plowing in.

Comment

Jim you'd be rich if you were plowing here this year winter just won't piss off. I was hauling snow in the city last night and the night before. Here's some scenes from a long night. This little Gehl skid-steer was loading me and despite the size of the machine and that he's gotta load me from three sides he gets it done pretty quick with that little dirt bucket. The big Case 821E loader is owned by the city he was going around downtown scraping the alleys as his bucket it about the same width, the freeze and thaw cycle we get produces some deep ruts that are hard to scrape down with a smaller machine so where they can fit the machine he simply puts his bucket down and scrapes to pavement if he can. The Cat Challenger tractors are used at the snow dump to push up the heap they do a pretty speedy job of it and those dozer blades on the front can be lifted quite high so they've got pretty good mobility even with the blade on.
        Attached Files

Comment

Bert, I'm with you. All ready for spring to start. I've been grounded from the building site for the last couple of weeks because old man winter has decided to get real about this winter. It has either been rain or ice or snow. Considering everything I need to do is outdoors, on the roof or under the overhang, I can't get hardly a day in since the middle of February. They are talking about another storm coming through on Sunday into Monday. I don't mind winter weather, I just wish it knew the right season to arrive.

Comment

Yeah people here are getting quite fed up with it, we got a lot of snow the last couple snowfalls I've been starting to blow it away from the house with my snowblower so I don't end up with a wet basement and tomorrow I'm going to snowblow the swail that drains one side of my yard and most of my neighbour's yard.....this time last year I was fighting grass fires or working in the yard and wearing shorts.

Comment

Well I thought the snow was all past with and I laid the snow plough away for the summer but I have been out Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday clearing snow for the local council on the roads and its snowing lightly just now (thirsaday) but Friday and Saturday are supposed to be really bad! Is good that I can still get work with the snow but it means I fall behind with evything else!

Comment

A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Now that is smart!!!

did you see the sparks though?? They must have worn out the rubbers! One of the drivers of the gritters at the depot here has written of a brand new snow plough as he wore out the rubbers then kept on trucking and wore the steel on the plough put too!!

Comment

Those could be steel or steel with a carbide tip like what's often done here Jim. We don't use those rubber or plastic composite blades. The highways department here uses a blade that has a carbide insert on it to help prolong the life of the blade as well scrape the ice off. For heavy scraping work when we get packed snow they often use a road grader as the mold board can put a lot of down pressure on the road surface which helps peel the ice off. I also just heard of a new product that the City of Winnipeg just tried out this year that is suppose to help with deicing a chemical derived from sugar beet production that will help keep salt working down to -37 degrees celsius where regular salt and salt brine rarely work below -12 degrees celsius.

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
                      I also just heard of a new product that the City of Winnipeg just tried out this year that is suppose to help with deicing a chemical derived from sugar beet production that will help keep salt working down to -37 degrees celsius where regular salt and salt brine rarely work below -12 degrees celsius.

Alcohol ................

Comment

Here's an article about that substance.

http://www.portagedailygraphic.com/2...n-winter-roads

Comment

Very interesting Bert Haven't heard of anything like that here ............

Comment

We've no use for that here ..........

Comment

Bet if we offered you rain or snow you take it though.............

Comment

Traditionally Stock salt was obtained from the tailings piles at a Potash mine in Saskatchewan it was crushed and run through a rotary kiln to drive off any moisture, screened and stockpiled and eventually loaded into rail cars and trucks. I worked for a small sand and gravel place a few years ago and had to haul to occasional load from there and even took my wife with me.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X