Collie's moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collie's moving

Been pondering it for a while and have decided that I'm sick of this part of the world for the time being. Theres work but it's not giving me the enjoyment I want (I dislike being a forklift driver with a passion. why is it so hard to get my arse in a swingshovel).

Really not fussed where I end up, I'd like to be on civils/muckshiftin and something over 13 ton with a radio and a cab. Likewise if I could I'd like to remain self unemployed/freelance.

Suggestions folks. I'm already planning a two week fact finding trip to Auz or canada/alaska next spring.
    http://rsandersplanthire.com/ Plant Hire and Earthmoving

Oz will scare ya with the heat .. I know loads that have gone out and got fed up too because they miss their mates and family .. plus your 99 cone melts like fook
    I Pull for a living

Comment

There is plenty that have wimped out and gone back home , but lots that love it too . Just a matter of aclimatizing . Yes it gets hot , but most things are air coned .
      Idealy you need to get as much seat time as you can in an excavator as it is the same over here , Experience means the difference between geting a job ,or watching from the sidelines ..Where I am i would imagine you would have the choice of at least half a dozen jobs in the first day of getting here . But don't think also that your going to be able to rock up out the coal mines and jump on a D11 or 180 ton excavator .

Comment

Quite so ,there are plenty of jobs here for experienced operators but most mine jobs have a stated minimum level of experience but if you qualify the financial
        rewards are high ,light years ahead of your 10 pounds an hour even with the monetary conversion .
        At your age a few years in a mine job if you can get one would set you up well for the rest of your life ,of course not everyone can or will do it and that is why it pays well ....

http://www.seek.com.au/

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the U.S. these days Rory, plus at least here in Canada we have free healthcare and if you desire to buy a car or truck in Manitoba we have public insurance so you don't get screwed around like in other countries and other Canadian provinces. Winter time is kinda the shits for work especially if your green but if your here in the spring after the thaw you should be able to find something but one word of advice if it's an excavator you want to operate take what you can whether its 1.5 tonne or 13 tonne get at least two years in the seat under your belt before getting picky.

Comment

Hmm

If I got out there for spring melt with a Visa, a will to work, hard hat and hi Viz would I be likely to pick up work within the first week or so?

Likewise does public insurance just mean I can buy a car and drive? and likewise what tends to be the gen with public liability insurance for me to drive the tackle (I have to have my own here).

Would my existing tickets count there aswell?

Not fussy what I'm on, Just have a desire to hop on something largish as it tends to mean alot more time behind the levers and thus more practice :)

I'd like to do Auz, but the heat would kill me i'm sure.
            http://rsandersplanthire.com/ Plant Hire and Earthmoving

Comment

Well ya got two choices .. no three .. Burn like bielzebub.. freeze like a chicken or stay put .. the first two look like they pay better cash though, but then theres yours mates and family to think about ?

TBH I've thought of both too as Im sick of the UK tax take .... and the relentless beurocracy we live under .. If the family ties werent so strong I'd consider it closely
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Interesting , London 15 to 22 .Here in central queensland 11 to 23 . In victoria Snow sking season still going strong . Its a big country , and big differences .

Comment

I don't know how penalties on your license will affect getting a license here. But one thing to note we drive on the right side of the road so that could take some adjusting. With public insurance it's basically a corporation owned by the Province of Manitoba and they also look after licensing and testing. But if you were to buy a car here you would buy insurance from them and nobody else as they are legislated to be the only car insurance company in Manitoba. I'll leave you link to they're website so you can check it out yourself. Here if you can prove yourself on an excavator I wouldn't doubt if you end up on a twenty tonner like a Cat 320 or John Deere 200.

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/english/english.html

Comment

Working...
                  X