Another CPHQ update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wazza View Post
    Struth Bruce the inside of my freezer isn't even that cold ,and it certainly isn't that icy .
    Do your work tools ever freeze up ,or stick to you ?? ..............
    Only if you use your mouth...LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgCbcT8eEU

Comment

Originally posted by B4D2USA View Post
      Only if you use your mouth...LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgCbcT8eEU
      LOL reminds me of the day.. when I was a kid ... my mum took two dishes of lasagne out of the deep freeze in cast iron dishes that she'd made earlier and a brown labrador that we had at the time took a lick at the base of one of the dishes ... splat ... tongue stuck solid on the dish big time
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

When you say wall panels Bruce ,is it complete walls ,or just trames ,that are stood and the sheeted/clad ? Looking forward to seeing the roof go on . Do you build the roof ,or use roof Trusses .. I am interested to see the construction methods .

Comment

Usually in the U.S. and Canada you use engineered prefabricated roof trusses I haven't seen somebody maker their own in a long time if at all.

Comment

Yes , It is the same here . A truck turns up with the house wall frames and the roof trusses ..Most houses here are on concrete slabs300 MM above finished yard height Most houses are a single skin of bricks outside , and Gyprock plasterboard inside , with Fibro in the wet areas .

Comment

Ian, the wall panels are a mix, depending on where they go. The exteriors are pre-sheeted and the interiors are just frames, so we can run plumbing, electric and HVAC through them.

Yesterday I rushed out before the crack of dawn to receive the walls as they were scheduled "first thing in the morning." I arranged for additional manpower, thus had 4 carpenters and myself at the ready. We had another round of snow, so we all pitched in and shoveled/swept the deck so we could snap chalk lines for wall placement. A phone call to the yard claimed maybe 1 hour or so before panels, so we did a bit more layout to be ready to jump when the trucks arrived. By the time we were done, we still were wondering where the trucks were. It was now 2 hours since my last call, so I placed another. I was told they would call to find out where the drivers were. 1/2 hour later, I called again to be told they were "right around the corner and should be there in about 15 minutes." An hour later, they finally arrived. It was 1:10 PM in the afternoon. After a "conversation" whereby the senior truckie claimed "who gave you the impression we were going to set the panel on the deck?" and realizing that 5 angry carpenters outbid his 2 4-hour-late truckies :black_eyed:, he acquiesced and grumbled that somebody would have to sign a release so he didn't get blamed for caving in a concrete basement wall. There were 10 stacks of panels, all clearly identified by letters and/or numbers, and I requested he start with wall panels T, U, V, W, X, Y and Z because they were the farthest point away from the landing zone and I could let a few carpenters get to erecting panels while I help position the incoming stacks. Needless to say, Mr. Happy Truckie made damn sure it was the 2nd to the last stack. By the time he landed the requested stack, it was well after 3:00 PM. By quitting time (5:00), we had 1/2 of the exterior walls tacked into place. Today, in a blowing snow, we placed the remainder exterior panels and called it a day as the winds were gusting and the temps were dropping. Tomorrow we are expecting another 3 - 6 inches of snow and sub-zero (F) wind chills, so we are off site until next week. Here are some pictures of the progress taken with the cell phone. Other pics once they are downloaded from the camera.
              Attached Files

Comment

It's all progress Bruce, ............not surely you know that truckies are grumpy and very vague with the truth, and if it is possible to make a simple job awkward...............

================================================== ==============================MWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMW
                A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles with those truckers Bruce, hope it goes better next week.

Comment

I downloaded a and resized a few more pics. In one, you can see Mr Happypants on his spyder. :hopelessness:
                    Attached Files

Comment

What will the external cladding be Bruce , a log cabin or some other high Tech finish with excellent Thermal properties ...........

Comment

Minus the white stuff , It sounds like a normal day on an Aussie building site .

Although , I had a carpenter here today working on our second house , By days end all required work was finished .

Comment

Here is sort of the way it should look when done, although the floor plan they show is a bit different, and the rear of the house is entirely diff. Nonetheless, you get an idea of the front and the finishes. I don't like the railings or posts on the porch, so will be doing it a bit different. Also, the colors are lame, so that will be changed also.http://www.thehousedesigners.com/plan/cedar-crest-3226/

Comment

That looks pretty impressive Bruce .

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                              That looks pretty impressive Bruce .
                              Just hoping I'm not in over my skiis. I can handle it, there's just a ton of detail. Good thing I'm a builder, otherwise it would cost a kings ransom to build.

Comment

Originally posted by B4D2USA View Post
                                I'm a builder, otherwise it would cost a kings ransom to build.
                                Probably still cost a ransom but a Somalian pirate one
                                A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X