Another EC15 Won’t shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another EC15 Won’t shut down

This one has already had its brain removed, just a typical faulty starter, machine kept running after shut down and eventually blew the 10 fuse for the fcu solenoid then shut off. See this pic here

image_4326.jpg Once your engine has cooled .. you can put your hand down between the exhaust and the alternator and you can see the end cap of the starter motor .. touch it .. it will still be hot, so the starter had stuck in and was been run by the motor.. question is why ?? was it getting energised constantly perhaps ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

So I recharged the battery this morning, again a frosty morning and she fired right up, but I noticed the glow light stayed on when it was running , went to shut it off and ssure enough, the engine continued to run .. so the next thought was to re enrgise the starter, so with it running, i turned the key to start, then the glow light went off, then I turned the key off and the engine stopped. Started and stopped it sevral times with normal function several times there after, so I now think it is a stuck bendix unit on the starter, after the machine was warmed up and running normally i checked the heat on the starter and it was still cold .. soo I dont think this was electrical
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

When my unit had a similar problem in November last year, I removed, dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled the starter. I greased the rotating parts with white lithium grease, but put nothing on the bendix unit.

There was minor wear to the teeth on the starter and the flywheel. I filed these smooth. It took a while to do the flywheel, having to turn it bit-by-bit.

Once reassembled, it's bee fine ever since.

The starter gear could be hanging up on the worn teeth.

Comment

Working...
      X