Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo EC15B mini - engine removal & injection pump overhaul - plus ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• etcetera

removing bell housing flange bolts 1.jpg
    Remove all the bolts securing the bell housing flange plate to the engine block.

removing the overspeed govenor from the timing IP sprocket.jpg
    The overspeed governor is released by undoing 3 bolts...

overspeed governor 2.jpg
    ...and some way of stopping the crankshaft rotating is needed

overspeed governor 3.jpg
    Then the governor slips off the sprocket easily.

Idler Sprocket removal 1.jpg
    Next the idler sprocket needs to be removed. You'll need a pair of Circlip [Spring Clip] pliers to do this..

Idler Sprocket removal 2.jpg
    ...and once off there is a large thrust washer to retrieve - I used my trusty, broken magnetic pickerupperer tool..

Idler Sprocket removal 3.jpg
    Then the idler should just pull away from it's stub axle, as follows..

Idler Sprocket removal 4.jpg

Idler Sprocket removal 5.jpg
    Job's a memory

Next, removal of the two camshafts - one for the IP and the other for the pushrods [valve gear]. Later.
    Attached Files

Comment

• on with the strip-down

timing marks aligned 1.jpg
      How the timing marks should align...and as follows....

timing marks aligned 2.jpg

unbolt the bell housing mounting plate.jpg
      Unbolting the bell housing flange plate will release the timing camshaft as well as the valve camshaft. There are 2 little O-rings which need to be captured on release.....see below:

capture the 2 O rings.jpg
      Capture the 2 O-ings which sit on little protruding studs

withdraw IP camshaft.jpg
      Withdraw the IP camshaft..

valve gear withdrawal.jpg
      ..and the valve camshaft. Note the damaged cam lobe.

capture a little washer under the camshaft opening.jpg
      There is a little washer to capture just by the camshaft aperture..

Lift off the plate.jpg
      Lift off the plate from the engine block.

Remove DipStick tube.jpg
      Remove the dipstick tube and retrieve the small O-ring that seals it in it's sleeve.

remove crankshaft seal.jpg
      Unbolt crankshaft seal and carefully remove

remove journal cap behind oil seal.jpg
      Remove the bottom crankshaft seals.jpg
      Gently tap/loosen the crankshaft journals at both ends of the engine block.

pulling Journals apart.jpg
      Once loose they can be prised away. I found these to be a tight fit. I will add here that the journals[bearings] had no play in them whatsoever.

note the journal orientation.jpg
      Make a note of the markings and orientation of the bearing caps before removal. This picture shows the bearing caps already having their retaining nuts 'cracked' off.

lift out the crankshaft.jpg
      Lift out the crankshaft.

See Volvo EC15B Buggered for a similar job. Volvo do not supply the Crankshaft or either of the two Camshafts. Diamond Diesels are sending me a new IP camshaft with the sprocket [DIAGONAL teeth..most important as they do supply the sprockets with straight teeth also] and bearing for £95.00 inclusive of FAT. DD also supply the camshafts as new for £200 plus FAT but without the sprocket [£] or bearing [£20 plus FAT]. I have asked for a price for a secondhand crankshaft [within dimensional tolerance but from an old engine sent to them as a service exchange] and a new one. I'll post that here soon.

TBC
      Last edited by jackpreacher; 25-01-2013, 07:23 PM. Reason: adding pictures in the right order

Comment

• Removing the pistons can be performed earlier in the strip-down or when the crankshaft is ready to be removed.

withdraw the pistons 1.jpg
        Crack off the bolts that secure the connecting rod to the crankshaft and tap the piston out gently with a wooden stick from underneath.
        sorry for the lack of photos here.

piston markings.jpg
        Make a note of the orientation of the pistons and which pot they go in.

More next week - I'm waiting for seals kits and parts to arrive.

Comment

• Why are you changing the Crank??
          A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

• What an epic EC15 thread this is .....
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• We are getting there Muzz.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Stock View Post
                Why are you changing the Crank??
                I'm not, but it does read that way! I was really enquiring because Muz couldn't get one for under £1200 and thought he may still have enough bits from his goosed engine to make a spare up..

Comment

• Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
                  I'm not, but it does read that way! I was really enquiring because Muz couldn't get one for under £1200 and thought he may still have enough bits from his goosed engine to make a spare up..
                  Smart thinking there Jack.................

Comment

• Originally posted by Stock View Post
                    Smart thinking there Jack.................
                    ........and fiendishly handsome.....

Comment

• IP and timing camshaft

Here is a few close ups of the IP and it's camshaft and how the cam lobes activate the IP plungers:

IP and camshaft 1.jpg

IP and camshaft damage.jpg

IP and camshaft with bloody big red arrow in case you're a blind man on a galloping horse!.jpg

TBC

Comment

• I think your holding it the wrong way round, because I can see where the cam lobes have struck the IP plunger bases ... so why has that happened ? .. is the bearing on the cam shaft humped? .. or is there some alignment problem that I was mentioning earlier ? .. perhaps a thrust bearing not fitted properly on the shaft ? (since the drive teeth are helical)
                        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
                          I think your holding it the wrong way round
                          You're absolutely right, I'm holding it the opposite way round. The thrust washer, or lack of it, is something I'll investigate tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning it - never knew it may have one

Comment

• I'm not so sure about the pump failing to put out the right pressures now, when I see where the lobes have got their wear from .. essentially the lobe will still have been delivering pressure at the right time, although the wear on the lobes is still wrong and somethings amiss

Comment

• WTF`s Doug

I was several pages in to this wondering who Doug was and thinking he`s somebody else with the same problem before the penny dropped.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gridley View Post
                                I was several pages in to this wondering who Doug was and thinking he`s somebody else with the same problem before the penny dropped.
                                That made me giggle out loud!!

Ok, do you want the list of family members?

Comment

Working...
                                X