Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo EC15B mini - engine removal & injection pump overhaul - plus ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
    .. I also used to throw an 'extra' bolt into some of my lads bolt pots when they wernt looking
    I always wondered why there are parts left over after a reassembly job,It's all become very clear now ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wazza View Post
      I always wondered why there are parts left over after a reassembly job,It's all become very clear now ...
      To be fair .. I always owned up to it .... just not immediately
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• All the yoke s I fix always have pocket bolts fitted...........
        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

• Ah yes .. there's a few that are missing on my kit too .. they could be found the other side of the yard fence !! I can hear myself muttering .. 'Dat fooker was an awkward cnut to get out .. dah .. dont need it and not wasting time gettin it back in' ... chuck .. ooooh.. its .... plant men confessions
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Pistons, Timing Camshaft, Valve Camshaft and timing Cover

Parts from DD arrived on Saturday, along with the nut I'd lost, then promptly found straightaway again this afternoon....

Engine Block ready for Crankshaft.jpg
            Ok, here goes. Firstly the shell bearings for the journals have a squirt of new oil prior to...

Checking crankshaft is within tolerances.jpg
            ..laying in the crankshaft after firstly checking it for tolerance with a vernier/caliper scale. It was bang in the middle of the range.

laying in the crankshaft.jpg
            So the crank is laid in the block....

Journal inner caps.jpg
            ..and the 2 bearing caps are installed and cranked up tho the recommended torque settings of around 50N.m..but check your own manuals if you do this.

High temperature silicone on End Bearings.jpg
            I used a bit of high temperature silicone to seal the 2 separate castings at either end of the crankshaft....then..

Install end bearings using rubber mallet.jpg
            ..a little rubber mallet persuasion positioned the castings ready to be bolted up.

Torquing up the end caps .jpg
            Torquing up the journal bolts

TBC

Comment

• I just noted that the photos above show the piston big end caps installed. What a dope. It proves it's all in the editing.

The pistons are installed after the crankshaft...photos tomorrow.

Comment

• Installing the pistons

Insert Piston with correct orientation.jpg
                Insert the pistons into the cylinder making sure the piston goes back into the cylinder it came out of.....

Attache piston ring compressor tool.jpg
                Attach the piston ring compressor tool......turn the allen wrench until the piston rings are compressed enough for the piston to be.....

Tap piston in gently with wooden stick.jpg
                ...tapped into the cylinder with a wooden drift of some sort.

Bob's le Oncle.jpg
                Once the first piston has reinserted flip the engine over so the bearing end caps can be fitted..

Torque up the big end cap bolts.jpg
                ...et, Voila.......Bob C'est le Oncle....

Comment

• Timing Plate

Flip engine on to its side and apply dabs of silicone.jpg
                  Dab some Hi-Temp silicone on to hold gasket in-situ

lay Timing plate gasket on.jpg
                  Lay on gasket..

lay timing plate on the gasket.jpg
                  Lay on timing plate

bolt timing plate in place.jpg
                  Tighten up the securing bolts.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• arrr .. its at that 'lemme atit' stage where you just want to get it running .. whats the word on the IP timing shaft grub screw ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
                      .. whats the word on the IP timing shaft grub screw ?
                      I had some conflicting information - John@DD sent me some scans from the L3E workshop manual which showed where bolt no.7 goes, but that only stops the timing camshaft coming out of the engine as opposed to my problem of the cam drifting towards the flywheel side. Anyway, the other information was word of mouth from an engineer who suggested the sprocket was sweated onto the camshaft. I'm going to go with that as the old sprocket took a few whacks to get it in the right position.
                      This afternoon I took a depth measurement of the distance of the cam bearing from the edge of the PTO opening in the block - 9.8mm. By monitoring this depth it will be easy to see of a problem is occurring. More details and photos of this tomorrow

Comment

• Jack , This has been a great thread .Your a braver man than I to attempt such repairs .Can't wait to see the machine come back to life after its major surgery .

Comment

• Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                          Jack , This has been a great thread .Your a braver man than I to attempt such repairs
                          ....can't believe that for a minute - seeing all those projects you guys get up to...makes my E15 look like a kindergarten class. How are your new sheds faring with all that weather down there?

Comment

• Their stll Standing ..As it was second hand iron used ,Got a few leaking to sort out .

Comment

• Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                              Their stll Standing .
                              Splendid...........leaks are called 'character features'....'selling points'.....

Comment

• Installing the two camshafts and their Anti-Drift bolt/washer

Insert the IP timing camshaft.jpg
                                Insert the the IP timing camshaft...

install anti-drift bolt and washer .jpg
                                Install the bolt/washer which stops the camshaft drifting back out of the timing case. This is bolt no.7. It was missing on this engine when I stripped it all down but it has nothing to do with the problem of the camshaft drifting the opposite way.

close up of anti-drift washer.jpg
                                Note; the washer overlaps the bearing of the camshaft. I pushed the washer over with a screwdriver to make sure.

Install governor on timing camshaft.jpg
                                Install the governor. This was the original governor cribbed from the damaged camshaft.

install valvegear camshaft.jpg
                                Install the valve-gear camshaft and...

installing ValveCam AD bolt.jpg
                                ...install the same kind of anti-drift bolt/washer as previously described for the IP cam.

All ready to be timed up.jpg
                                All ready for the idler to be installed and the engine to be 'timed' up.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X