Which welder ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which welder ?

Thats something I'm considering getting now that I've got a garage I can do some wood butchering too. I'd like to get a welder too so I can learn to burn steel but I'd probably need one with a gas engine as my electricity service to the garage is maybe 30 amp.

Bert look at an inverter welder, I have one for over 10 years and a great tool runs off 13amps @ 220v ............
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Yeah okay I'll talk to my brother about it he's an electrician and his roomate has a small portable welder that runs off of 120 volt household voltage. But I think its only good for thinner metal like sheet metal. I'd like to be able to weld on digger buckets and do hardfacing .

Comment

30 Amps is heaps for a little welder Bert ,Get yourself a gas/gasless mig and make yourself an excavator .
        Even on a 10 amp outlet you could weld fairly thick stuff {thick stuff is a highly technical term}...

Comment

Bert I welded bucket teeth and carriers, hardfaced buckets, put on wear strips with my inverter with no problems...........

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
            Bert I welded bucket teeth and carriers, hardfaced buckets, put on wear strips with my inverter with no problems...........
            That was my thinking .. they can put out some serious power from a small box .. was thinking of getting one infact .. for the but'n ben but dont know what to get as its only basic single phase ?
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Muzz The one I have is a 160 amp and I have welded a gutter bolt to a piece of cladding and burned a 3.2mm in to a bucket until it went bright red.......Might get a bigger one when the occasion arises..............

Comment

Stock do you have a make and model of your welder and input/ output figure? I really dont know much about welding so maybe I could find something the same or similar around here?

Comment

http://www.jlhc.co.uk/ltw_x01/produc...ma_swp160.html

Comment

Muzz The one I have is a 160 amp and I have welded a gutter bolt to a piece of cladding and burned a 3.2mm in to a bucket until it went bright red.......Might get a bigger one when the occasion arises..............
                    wow... thats an impressive range
                    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I'll have to see what the equivalent welder would be here as standard household voltage here is 120 volts. I'll bug my brother about it he's more familiar with these things.

Comment

I guess that's an arc welder, that would be the type of thing I'd be looking for at least so I could learn on. I've got friends that always say they'll teach me but people always claim to be busy all the time so like everything else life I just have to buy one and teach myself.

Comment

dual voltage

i have been looking at getting one of these , easier than keep taking buckets home
                          dual voltage too so easier for site use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THERMAL-AR...item35be5f3584

Comment

- DUTY CYCLE - 160A - 230V - 30%
                            - DUTY CYCLE - 100A - 110V - 35%

Bruce /Bert
                            anything with duty cycles this low is now worth owning, what it means is @ 160 amps you can weld for 30% of an hour before it overheats and shuts down. Very frustrating as it requires time to cool before you can weld.

Comment

time

- DUTY CYCLE - 160A - 230V - 30%
                              - DUTY CYCLE - 100A - 110V - 35%

Bruce /Bert
                              anything with duty cycles this low is now worth owning, what it means is @ 160 amps you can weld for 30% of an hour before it overheats and shuts down. Very frustrating as it requires time to cool before you can weld.
                              which is more than enough time for me to weld on a new plate to a bucket most of what i do would not involve welding constantly for that amount of time anyway , anything requiring a lot of work would be taken back to the farm where there is a large mig and two large oil arc welders

this looks quite suitable , although its a 1 year warranty against 2
                              http://www.jlhc.co.uk/ltw_x01/produc...ma_swp140.html

Comment

Working...
                              X