No announcement yet.

temperamental engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks mate, Harvest in full swing no time to check out injector pump right now. Will get on the case soon as its over and get back with a report

Comment

Had a chance to look at fuel pump today. It's an ac couldn't see anything as described by Griffer, There's two control cables situated on top....fuel on/off situated in front of the pump and behind that throttle... both are adjustable with limit stops I can't see anything else that could act as access fuel mechanism. As mentioned before there is the remains of some sort plunger container on underside of steering column. The high pressure injector pipes come out of the back and not the top. Funnily enough Griffer mentioned bmc because in 1972 it was British Motor Corporation then, however the engine has a British Leyland sticker on rocker cover. I'm also interested to know more on inlet manifold... the electrical disc device which I feel might act as some sort pre heat device to assist cold start...over to Griffer

Comment

http://vieux.tracteurs.free.fr/pdf/M...38TD_498NT.pdf
        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
          Now ...that be a thing of beauty she makes a ford engine sound good for the soul
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

NOW YOU FOLKS KNOW THAT THIS IS A LINK TO THE MANUAL FOR THE ENGINE .............................

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post

NOW YOU FOLKS KNOW THAT THIS IS A LINK TO THE MANUAL FOR THE ENGINE .............................
              Try this one

Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Sorry if I am stating the obvious here guys, although does it have the correct grade oil in the engine? Cranking speed will be dramatically reduced in cold weather if the oil is too thick and hence the cylinder temperature will be lower especially on the old indirect injection engines. I had this in an old Massey tractor, changed the oil to the winter grade recommended and she started up lovely every time.

Comment

This will make you all laugh. I'm working on a Manitou telehandler at the moment and after jet washing it all off i've been trying to get a few things working that haven't worked properly for ages like the cabin heating, engine temperature gauge etc etc. When I came to crank the engine it wouldn't start and the crank speed was slow and got progressively slower the longer you held the key until it stopped cranking!!!. I thought I must have got water in the starter motor/solenoid and took both apart only to find nothing wrong. After refitting the starter motor to the engine and much scratching of my head and nuts I eventually found that where I had taken apart the frigging dash to fix the heating, I had inadvertently jammed the auxiliary hydraulic lever over. So with the engine cranking over like this, the hydraulic pump was putting a massive load on the starter. Well what a friggin lesson that has been. So the moral of the story here is, only work on one thing at a time (so you know what to go back to if something appears to be wrong), and think out side the box !! So 'Panel bash', could the guy that mentioned the oil type in an earlier post have something here?

Comment

Thanks guys will look into oil possibility, meantime massive new development..my son turned up with paper workshop Manual! (god bless him) although I haven't got the bill for it yet!! There were two types of injector pumps fitted to these machines simms minimec ( in line) and CAV DPA rotary which it turns out is the one on my engine. According to grifferr there's a fuel access control on the minimech but there doesn't seem to be on the cav which is probably why I have what they call a fuel plunger on steering column,I'v now noticed a couple of inches of 4mm polythene tube hanging off plunger. The disc on air intake manifold I discribed is called thermostart. You'd think with all this info at my finger tips I would have the answer but alas no, because technical manuals like this don't cover the opera rational interaction between components..the hand book usually does. At least I have narrowed down the access fuel facility. Anyone wanting info on JCB machines 2d .2ds. 3. 3c. 3cs. 3d .700 let me know.

Comment

so you never followed my link.................

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
                        This will make you all laugh. I'm working on a Manitou telehandler at the moment and after jet washing it all off i've been trying to get a few things working that haven't worked properly for ages like the cabin heating, engine temperature gauge etc etc. When I came to crank the engine it wouldn't start and the crank speed was slow and got progressively slower the longer you held the key until it stopped cranking!!!. I thought I must have got water in the starter motor/solenoid and took both apart only to find nothing wrong. After refitting the starter motor to the engine and much scratching of my head and nuts I eventually found that where I had taken apart the frigging dash to fix the heating, I had inadvertently jammed the auxiliary hydraulic lever over. So with the engine cranking over like this, the hydraulic pump was putting a massive load on the starter. Well what a friggin lesson that has been. So the moral of the story here is, only work on one thing at a time (so you know what to go back to if something appears to be wrong), and think out side the box !! So 'Panel bash', could the guy that mentioned the oil type in an earlier post have something here?
                        Its not uncommon .. and a pain in the ass ... the worst times are when a valve in the block jams, and you cant see anything ... its always on a cylinder thats got to the end of its stroke, and no one has noticed that .. except the eagle eyed fitter who visits the plant and construction forum to learn such tips

Comment

Couldn't make the link Stock tried several times on my old computer...it just threw up error..couldn't connect. could me though computer skills not up to much etc! thanks anyway. Meantime back to my spiritual home ... 'under digger bonnet' trying to solve access fuel cold start. I figure the plunger somehow draws fuel in from tank then squirts into manifold after operating heating thermostart. There are thousands of these machines still about so surely there must be somebody who can help!

Comment

Originally posted by panel bash View Post
                            Couldn't make the link Stock tried several times on my old computer...it just threw up error..couldn't connect. could me though computer skills not up to much etc! thanks anyway. Meantime back to my spiritual home ... 'under digger bonnet' trying to solve access fuel cold start. I figure the plunger somehow draws fuel in from tank then squirts into manifold after operating heating thermostart. There are thousands of these machines still about so surely there must be somebody who can help!

PM me your email and I send it on to you...........................

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                              Its not uncommon .. and a pain in the ass ... the worst times are when a valve in the block jams, and you cant see anything ... its always on a cylinder thats got to the end of its stroke, and no one has noticed that .. except the eagle eyed fitter who visits the plant and construction forum to learn such tips
                              Muz, I'd never really given any thought to what the starter motor had to work against whilst cranking. Presumably all engines with a hydraulic pump have the added strain of the pump. I was becoming more and more convinced that although the motor cranked, it had lost its mojo (shorted turns inside or something). What can you do in this situation then to check you haven't got a stuck valve without taking things apart?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
                                Muz, I'd never really given any thought to what the starter motor had to work against whilst cranking. Presumably all engines with a hydraulic pump have the added strain of the pump. I was becoming more and more convinced that although the motor cranked, it had lost its mojo (shorted turns inside or something). What can you do in this situation then to check you haven't got a stuck valve without taking things apart?

Its just a matter of observation I'm afraid fella .. but kick in here and get a heads up before you take something apart

What I will add is this

Many machines have an 'unload' valve built into the pump . Ive posted here about this before if you do a search . It returns the swash plate to zero on shut down so the engine isnt loaded on start up, but it can fail and leave the pump on full delivery on start up which causes the drag you have expierienced

Comment

Working...
                                X