Lifton LS850 wont drive uphill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d4c24a View Post
    just thought it would be best to ascertain it first off , as there are plenty of guesses so far
    Absolutely .. simple options first
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Absolutely .. simple options first
      Thanks again for all the info. To quickly answer all the queries. Was working perfectly before being stripped down. It only bogs down on hills and the pump does seem to be working. You can feel it straining hard to push the front wheels forward. I marked all the hoses with tags to be sure to get them right when I rebuilt it. However, you always question yourself, particularly when a hose around the wrong way could potentially cause those symptoms. Suffice to say I have pored over that previously for some time. What would be really useful would be a hose run diagram. I'm going through methodically now all the simple stuff. Not sure I have the facilities to perform a pressure test here, so in that event the local french hydraulic expert can rub his hands in glee.

Comment

If its labouring, and was working fine before, levels are good and nothings got into the filter, then something physical has changed. In our experience they tend to either work fine or not at all though , so this one is a strange one. Have you noticed any frothing of the hydraulic oil, or does the tank get hotter than it used to ?

The surest way to know if a hose is the wrong way is to check the pressure in line, as the back set which you havent touched, should be a mirror of the front. Do this with it jacked up

There were a couple of other features on these machines, like the ability to screw out a break adjuster on the pump to allow the machine to be free wheeled under tow, I assume nothing else has been touched up at the pump?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          If its labouring, and was working fine before, levels are good and nothings got into the filter, then something physical has changed. In our experience they tend to either work fine or not at all though , so this one is a strange one. Have you noticed any frothing of the hydraulic oil, or does the tank get hotter than it used to ?

The surest way to know if a hose is the wrong way is to check the pressure in line, as the back set which you havent touched, should be a mirror of the front. Do this with it jacked up

There were a couple of other features on these machines, like the ability to screw out a break adjuster on the pump to allow the machine to be free wheeled under tow, I assume nothing else has been touched up at the pump?
          Yes, there was some frothing of the oil and I bled it back into the tank direct from the top of the pump until it was clear. Only after that did I play with some of the adjustments on the pump when the machine was not doing what it should. I've now finished cutting the jungle here so I'm spending time on it tomorrow. I'll go through methodicall again, plus I'm going to look in the fron hubs for sand from the sand blasting. Not sure how to check the pressure inline. looks like the pump puts out 360 psi from Wacker Neusons technical data, but I have no means to measure it. Thanks for all your replies.

Stevey

Comment

Originally posted by Stevey View Post
            Only after that did I play with some of the adjustments on the pump when the machine was not doing what it should.
            Right ... this complicates things .. can you post up a pic of either side of the pump so we can see if its similar to the later 1001's because I have a diagram for adjusting the free wheeling adjusters Dan referred to .. but I seem to remember if they got adjusted wrong, or over torqued the pump can get easily damaged ... this could be something and nothing, but it might help eliminate what youve changed. Changing some pump settings could make life tough from here on in I have to say .. IIRC it was a displacement pump, with a gear pump bolted on the front which did the steering function.
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

looks like the pump puts out 360 psi from Wacker Neusons technical data,
              That would be nearer in Bar

Comment

Tried to post some photos. Not having much luck at present. Will try with a glass of wine in hand later.

Pump shows the name of Brueninghaus Hydromatik if that is of any help.

Comment

Sure you know fella,... but it will be nearer 200 Bar

Had to pop the cover off one of our 1001's tday due to a beacon wire shorting on the chassis, and ours are Rexroth ones Stevey

Ive pointed to the two pressure control valves on one side of the pump , If you've moved these, this will cause your problem too, but it depends on what your pump looks like though ? I'd need to check the books to see what the settings are, or perhaps Muz knows ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Had to pop the cover off one of our 1001's tday due to a beacon wire shorting on the chassis, and ours are Rexroth ones Stevey

Ive pointed to the two pressure control valves on one side of the pump , If you've moved these, this will cause your problem too, but it depends on what your pump looks like though ? I'd need to check the books to see what the settings are, or perhaps Muz knows ?
                    Ta mate. Spent the day taking the front hubs to bits, some sand from the sandblasting definitely present in one. All clean,rebuilt and back together now. Will top up with oil and test tomorrow. Couldn't be that simple? You never know!

Comment

Actuals are slightly less I was just using some poetic licence

So Stevey ... any further forward ?

Comment

Actuals are slightly less I was just using some poetic licence

So Stevey ... any further forward ?
                        I'm now convinced I have no sand in the system and thats not the problem. Both hubs at the front are clean, no blockages in any pipes although I had to take one of them off twice after trapping an O ring on reassembly and not picking up on it until it leaked. But looking good now. Hydraulic filter clean, new oil. Bled, all hoses running clean. I need to move into two areas now.

I need the pump settings which I have played with but ONLY after the machine became faulty. If anyone has them (and it was hinted that someone might) it would be really useful and I would go back to square one with them.

I also need to get hold of a pressure gauge to see what the pump is making.

Once again any advice on which one to get and where would be greatly appreciated and I'll get one shipped over from the UK. I'm assuming this screws straight into the top of the pump.

If pump pressure is good and the settings are reset I may well be at the limit of what I can do here. Suffice to say that so much work has been done on the machine that it will get fixed come what may but I dont want to throw it at a local Frenchman only to find he knows less about them than me and I'm paying for his incompetence. More advice from you boys will be greatly appreciated.

Stevey

Comment

The main pump pressures are 170 Bar .. I'd need to check what test ports give that and where else the system should give that pressure. Do you have the adjusters on the rhs of the pump (looking from operators seat) that Dan showed in his pics ? theyre 17mm nuts with a hex bolt in the middle, and more importantly, have you moved them ?

we really need a pic of the pump to try to work out some routings and adjustments, although, weve never had to touch any pumps to be honest so dont have any info on adjustments, other than the ones referred to above. But you could show us what you moved and perhaps could work it out.

The main pump is a static displacement pump iirc, with a bolt on single stage gear pump on the front that powers the steering only .. I'll see if I can google a good test kit for you

*edit*

This one is well priced and perfect for you

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCB-hydrau...-/380456324749

it has two glycerin filled guages to cover all the ranges you will ever need with a good basic set of adaptor fittings and hose

Comment

The main pump pressures are 170 Bar .. I'd need to check what test ports give that and where else the system should give that pressure. Do you have the adjusters on the rhs of the pump (looking from operators seat) that Dan showed in his pics ? theyre 17mm nuts with a hex bolt in the middle, and more importantly, have you moved them ?

we really need a pic of the pump to try to work out some routings and adjustments, although, weve never had to touch any pumps to be honest so dont have any info on adjustments, other than the ones referred to above. But you could show us what you moved and perhaps could work it out.

The main pump is a static displacement pump iirc, with a bolt on single stage gear pump on the front that powers the steering only .. I'll see if I can google a good test kit for you

*edit*

This one is well priced and perfect for you

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCB-hydrau...-/380456324749

it has two glycerin filled guages to cover all the ranges you will ever need with a good basic set of adaptor fittings and hose

Messing about with photo sizes here, but attached is the pump and the overview of the machine (just repainted) Not clear in picture 1 but I have messed with the adjuster on the drivers side as stated, 17mm spanner and a hex, plus I've messed with the top one in picture three. But as I said before only after the machine was playing up. Like the look of the pressure gauge on e bay. I found that last night also but wasn't sure about the fitments to screw in.

Keep the advice coming, never nice to be in the Sh.t but can be real interesting for other people who are watching. I should know!

Stevey
                            Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]873[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]874[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]875[/ATTACH] Messing about with photo sizes here, but attached is the pump and the overview of the machine (just repainted) Not clear in picture 1 but I have messed with the adjuster on the drivers side as stated, 17mm spanner and a hex, plus I've messed with the top one in picture three. But as I said before only after the machine was playing up. Like the look of the pressure gauge on e bay. I found that last night also but wasn't sure about the fitments to screw in.

Keep the advice coming, never nice to be in the Sh.t but can be real interesting for other people who are watching. I should know!

Stevey
                              Try posting your pics again stevey, as a rule the likes of an iphone 4 pic is too big for the uploader to cope with, so you need to resize them to about 1.5 megs in physical size for them to be auto resized by the forum. I cant retrieve the links you posted to help i'm afraid,but I have bumped up the pic sizes a bit more to help

I think the top adjuster is a main relief valve, but the ones on the side will definately screw up the drives, I'll see what the books say on how to reset them, IIRC they need to be screwed all the way out till resistance is felt then locked, but dont quote me on that till ive read the book. Unfortunately I have a feeling it doesent give info for any relief settings, but if you know the pressures else where with a guage, it is easy enough to check & adjust. FYI the guages I linked to are the set that our Dan uses I found out, ... Ive used them myself and they are spot on for that money Those kits and guages have a hose that will screw straight onto your pump, and connect with a supplied guage, as all these pump test points are a standard fitting

Comment

Try posting your pics again stevey, as a rule the likes of an iphone 4 pic is too big for the uploader to cope with, so you need to resize them to about 1.5 megs in physical size for them to be auto resized by the forum. I cant retrieve the links you posted to help i'm afraid,but I have bumped up the pic sizes a bit more to help

I think the top adjuster is a main relief valve, but the ones on the side will definately screw up the drives, I'll see what the books say on how to reset them, IIRC they need to be screwed all the way out till resistance is felt then locked, but dont quote me on that till ive read the book. Unfortunately I have a feeling it doesent give info for any relief settings, but if you know the pressures else where with a guage, it is easy enough to check & adjust. FYI the guages I linked to are the set that our Dan uses I found out, ... Ive used them myself and they are spot on for that money Those kits and guages have a hose that will screw straight onto your pump, and connect with a supplied guage, as all these pump test points are a standard fitting

Thanks again. Really useful. I'm hoping a mate out here has a gauge, going to be a few days before I can connect with him though. If not i'll buy that one. At some stage there won't be much on the list left to tick off. My French vocabulary is on the up as a result of this anyway.

Stevey

Comment

Working...
                                X