Lifton LS850 wont drive uphill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
    Well Cap'tn, look at the bright side - there's nowt to faze you now...you and Stevey know that machine backwards. Best of luck - I hope it's a much cheaper job than you're expecting
    Hi Jack and fellow posters.

Yes we know the little bugger pretty intimately now!

I've just sent the pump off securely boxed up (see attachment) but I was advised by the shippers (Parcels Please) to cover it in cardboard to make it look like a parcel, as some of the associated couriers they use, on seeing that it is in a wooden box, would require it to be 'palettised' (if there is such an adjective?)

Now we await an estimated cost of repair from Messrs Bell & Co of Glasgow.

Rgds CL.

PumpInBox01WEB.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptLimey View Post
      Hi Jack and fellow posters.

Yes we know the little bugger pretty intimately now!

I've just sent the pump off securely boxed up (see attachment) but I was advised by the shippers (Parcels Please) to cover it in cardboard to make it look like a parcel, as some of the associated couriers they use, on seeing that it is in a wooden box, would require it to be 'palettised' (if there is such an adjective?)

Now we await an estimated cost of repair from Messrs Bell & Co of Glasgow.

Rgds CL.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1692[/ATTACH]
      Good luck Cap'n ... Johns always been a gentleman .. sure you'll be fine were talking old school here
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Just got the bad news!!

As Muz said Messrs Bell & Co are straight shooters and very helpful.
        David (Bell Jnr) tells me that our pump is a very sick puppy havng undergone a 'catastrophic event' of some sort. They can normally repair the swash plate/cradle and salvage most of the parts but ours is a terminal case. It needs new swash plate/cradle and pistons. Apparently it is an uncommon pattern of wear they haven't encountered before and could have been due to the case drain being defective causing build up of back pressure. Whatever the cause the repair is going to come to excess of a grand! Oh well.......we'll just have to pay up and look big as the alternative is a totally new pump costing multi thousands or scrap the machine and it's too good for that.

Rgds CL

Comment

• What a pity - but your dumper will be top drawer with all the work you two have done on it.
          Are they supplying a guarantee with the repair?

Comment

What a pity - but your dumper will be top drawer with all the work you two have done on it.
            Are they supplying a guarantee with the repair?
            Hi Jack & others
            Yes the machine will be top drawer but I don't know if we'll be brave enough to get it out of the drawer to do somework!
            Re guarantee - not really a viable proposition here in the south of France. I'm sure Messers Bell & Co will honour their work but if we get a problem it means another dismantle and shipping back costing mega bucks. John Bell has proffered heaps of good advice re installation and problem recurrence avoidance. Hope to have it re-installed soon, then only time will tell.
            Rgs CL

Comment

• Update

I've just returned from Blantyre in beautiful Scotland in the (Dis) United Kingdom (If Messers A. Salmond & co have their wish) We had a meeting with the impressive John Bell & Son of Hydrotech. They have re-built the pump and offered some sound advice on pre-re-installation action, namely - clean the entire system of the grit and crud that has (apparently) trashed the pump.

We need to flush the hydraulic tank, lines, hoses and motors of any debris or contaminants that have contributed to the excessive wear of the pump componemts.

Can anyone suggest a method of cleaning the hoses and lines prior to re installing the pump?

Stevie and I have considered flushing the lines with a Karcher power washer and them blowing them clean/dry with high pressure air to expunge any residual water.

We'd be happy to hear any other suggestions re clearing the lines/hoses of debris.

BTW John Bell strongly recommended that we re-fill the hydraulic system with engine oil of 20/20 grade and NOT hydraulic oil. Any views?

Rgds CL

Comment

• The only thing Ive heard of is a 'kidney' unit to clear contaminants, but to be honest on that size of machine, just draining it ... cleaning the tank and changing the filter would have been enough I would have thought .. after the new pump goes in .. I'd do an oil change and the filter again after some work as the system will have been stirred up properly. What was Johns reasoning for engine oil ? .. a lot of agri equipment uses this universally , and it does offer better lubricity , but I thought it would foam more ?
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
                  The only thing Ive heard of is a 'kidney' unit to clear contaminants, but to be honest on that size of machine, just draining it ... cleaning the tank and changing the filter would have been enough I would have thought .. after the new pump goes in .. I'd do an oil change and the filter again after some work as the system will have been stirred up properly. What was Johns reasoning for engine oil ? .. a lot of agri equipment uses this universally , and it does offer better lubricity , but I thought it would foam more ?
                  Hi Muz

Firstly can I say sorry for not dropping in to get acquainted when we were nearby but our trip was just a short one and although I had intended to, time just didn't permit.

Secondly thanks for the advice re cleansing the system, Stevey and I are mulling that one over. Of course we're going to replace all the oil, most of it has drained from the system anyway! Removing and flushing the tank, like replacing the filter, should be a relatively simple matter. The hoses and lines are a different issue. We did consider blowing them through with a power washer, with the motors and pump disconnected of course, then drying them with high pressure air - anyone have any thoughts on that?

Re John's recommendation to use 20/20 engine oil; he said it was better then hydraulic oil due to it's greater tolerance of high temperatures and constant viscocity characteristics. Finding it in France may be a problem!

Rgds CL

Comment

• Re previous post:
                    Does anyone know where we can source 25ltrs of 20w20 engine oil in the UK?
                    Rgds CL

Comment

• Is there no Total or Fuches agent near you in the sud of France.............
                      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

• Hi Cap'tn,
                        Firstly it's good to see you've got your HP sorted out for much less than the mortgage your local techs would have charged you

On the subject of using regular oil in place of Hydraulic then there may be a little more to it than just swapping out....
                        [i] Is HO is less hygroscopic than most engine oils?
                        [ii] What effects will the additives in engine oil have on the seals?

Personally I would use the oil that is designed for the system. .....also it sounds like it may be easier to get ahold of!

Comment

Hi Cap'tn,
                          Firstly it's good to see you've got your HP sorted out for much less than the mortgage your local techs would have charged you

On the subject of using regular oil in place of Hydraulic then there may be a little more to it than just swapping out....

Personally I would use the oil that is designed for the system. .....also it sounds like it may be easier to get ahold of!
                          Here you go Jack................

PRODUCT DATA

SAE 20w20

Hydraulic Oil (Engine Oil Type)

Performance Profile

• API: SC, CC

Description

A high quality 20w mineral oil.
                          Application

For use where a 20w, ISO 68 hydraulic oil is required utilising monograde engine oil performance additives.
                          User Benefits

• The 20w formulation meets the requirements of hydraulic equipment specifying a lubricant with engine oil performance
                          • The API SC/CC formulation meets the performance levels required extremely cost effectively

Typical Characteristics

SAE Viscosity 20
                          Specific Gravity (at 15°C) 0.872
                          Kinematic Viscosity (at 100°C, cSt) 8.1
                          Kinematic Viscosity (at 40°C, cSt) 68
                          Viscosity Index 100
                          Pour Point (°C) -18
                          Flash Point (°C) >200
                          http://www.millersoils.co.uk/commerc...0off%20Highway
                          A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stock View Post
                            Is there no Total or Fuches agent near you in the sud of France.............
                            I suspect there are but I also suspect their price will be far above the UK price? We have a friend coming out to visit soon who can bring it, so sourcing it in the UK might be a better option.
                            Rgds CL

Comment

Hi Cap'tn,

Hi Jack

Yes Stevey was very happy to have managed to get the HP pump repaired for a 'reasonable' price in comparison with the estimates proffered by local hydraulic machine shops.

Re your oil type queries - dunno! I was simply quoting what John Bell advised me to get. I must say that he seemed to know a thing or two about hydraulic pumps & motors, so perhaps the effect of hydroscopic differentials and seal degradation was something he felt wasn't an issue?

Whatever - We'll either get what he recommended or, as you suggest, the oil recommended by the manufacturers, whichever is most available here in deepest darkest France.

Rgds CL

Comment

• Hi again Stock
                                Thanks for the steer to Millers Oli. There's a stockist not too far away that may be able to deliver to our friends who are going to visit soon. I'll contact them for a price and delivery cost of 25ltrs 20w20 and compare it with the cost of sourcing it locally.
                                Rgds CL

Comment

Working...
                                X