Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo EC15B mini - engine removal & injection pump overhaul - plus ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stock View Post
    When the main bearings wear the oil pressure usually suffers ..................then there is a scream of metal on metal.........................
    ....but no knocking? It's just that there was a bit of knocking or 'clatter' every now and then on a quick rev up - but not every time. Do you think that's more big/little end related?

Comment

• Gudgeon pin or cam bearing???????????????

what way are the timing gear idlers??
      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Gudgeon pin or cam bearing??????????????
        Ahh....

Originally posted by Stock View Post
        I don't understand the question Stock, sorry.
        I'll post a few more photos in a few minutes so maybe you'll see anyway. I do know that way back earlier in this thread I mentioned a bit of timing camshaft damage - well, now that the camshaft is on the bench it is quite evident that it may need replacing.

Comment

• engine Strip-down continued....

..so, removing the flywheel housing/cover

Remving flywheel cover2.jpg
          The flywheel cover revealed a nice, unchipped, fully toothed flywheel

remove starter motor bolts.jpg
          Remove the 2 bolts that secure the starter motor to the bell housing..

remove starter motor.jpg
          ..and withdraw the starter motor.

remove the flexible coupling.jpg
          Remove the flexible coupling from the flywheel. There are no bolts or screws.

flexible coupling dismantled.jpg
          Check the integrity of the rubber shock absorber...and be careful not to get any oil on it..

unscrew the flywheel drive shaft mount.jpg
          Unscrew the 4 bolts that secure the 'driveshaft flange' to the flywheel...for want of a better description.

withdraw driveshaft flange.jpg
          ..and withdraw.

undo 4 bolts on the flywheel.jpg
          Impact drive off the flywheel bolts and take off the flywheel.

bell housing removal.jpg
          Same for the bell housing....remove the bolts and remove the bell housing.

Engine block almost dismantled.jpg
          So now the engine block is partially dismantled.

More later.

Comment

Gudgeon pin or cam bearing???????????????

Does this help?

Timing marks 1.jpg

Comment

• Knocking usually comes from con-rod the gudgeon pin primarily,but I have seen a bearing degrade in the big end.....once or twice to causing a knock.
              Had a cam bearing fail but that caused more of a diesel knock type of sound.............

broken rings maybe.......

Had a tractor make a funny noise once that came from a dodgy timing idler gear.............

Comment

• You would be able to feel play on the big ends if it were evident, it would be fairly obvious, look for scoring on the insides of the shells which would indicate metal 'pick up' too ... and imminant failure.remember to keep the shells matched, if your taking the crank out, but if theres no sign of damage, I wouldnt, as you'll disrupt the main oil seals, which will need replaced on refitting.

If its had a sump pan problem, its possible it got punctured, and lost oil ,.. but not likely as they are quite malleable

You have identified all the correct timing marks too

Some of these engines run noiser than others with a noteable tick, which also sounds like crank shaft trouble, but it isnt, and Ive never really nailed it down to anything in particular.
                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Knocking usually comes from con-rod the gudgeon pin primarily,but I have seen a bearing degrade in the big end.....once or twice to causing a knock.
                  Had a cam bearing fail but that caused more of a diesel knock type of sound.............
                  That's where my inexperience shows up - I was hoping the clatter was diesel knock, but I don't know what diesel knock sounds like.
                  Is diesel knock just an issue with poor timing? Is it regular or irregular like pinking in a petrol engine?

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
                    You would be able to feel play on the big ends if it were evident, it would be fairly obvious, look for scoring on the insides of the shells which would indicate metal 'pick up' too ... and imminant failure.remember to keep the shells matched, if your taking the crank out, but if theres no sign of damage, I wouldnt, as you'll disrupt the main oil seals, which will need replaced on refitting.
                    No play was evident at the big ends or on the crankshaft journals. No leaks were evident at the bottom seals, however, I dismantled them all anyway to inspect the shells, which were all in excellent shape.

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                    You have identified all the correct timing marks too
                    I remember you said earlier in this thread that you had to turn the crank a trillion times to get it right so I was ready for that
                    . Nothing about this in the gold plated service manual though....nothing. In fact the manual doesn't have much engine detail at all considering the cost of it

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                    Some of these engines run noiser than others with a noteable tick, which also sounds like crank shaft trouble, but it isnt, and Ive never really nailed it down to anything in particular.
                    You have a few don't you? You would have diagnosed the noise [clatter/knocking] in 2 seconds. Ah well, such is life.......

Comment

• ..continuing with the strip-down

Figuring out the timing 1.jpg
                      Figuring out the timing between the Valve Camshaft, the idler [smallest sprocket] and the IP camshaft [with the 3 speed governor weights].
                      I must be honest and admit that at this stage I hadn't even thought of lifting the pulley off the crankshaft to check any timing marks there. Luckily it all worked out...

Timing marks 2.jpg
                      I suggest that 'you' familiarise yourself with the timing before dismantling. The Idler sprocket [50 teeth] has '1' '2' & '2' stamped on it around the edge.
                      The IP sprocket and valve sprockets [66 teeth] have '22' stamped around their edges. The crankshaft sprocket, underneath the pulley, has '11' stamped on it.
                      To get the exact timing these numbers have to be aligned as in the next photo. I counted 49 full turns on the crankshaft before the timing alignments 'repeat' themselves.

Timing alignment.jpg
                      The timing marks on the crankshaft aren't really shown here.

More later

Comment

• Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post

You have a few don't you? You would have diagnosed the noise [clatter/knocking] in 2 seconds. Ah well, such is life.......

Six at the moment, for my troubles just now .. Ive owned about 16 over the years .. what camera are you using for your photos, have you taken any video with sound you could upload ?

Its the low power problem you describe thats troubling though I suspect you have missed something about its operation we should maybe double check once you've rebuilt ... did you think the injection pump rotor was damaged ?
                        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
                          . did you think the injection pump rotor was damaged ?
                          Do you mean the camshaft that drives the IP? Cam #3 has quite a chunk missing. I'll take a close up tomorrow but I'm already pricing up a new one from Volvo, although there is one on EBay from the US for around £70.

Comment

• So a cam lobe is damaged................and a crank web scarred ...............did make one think something might have been dropped in that engine....................

Comment

• Ofcourse its bloomin damaged .. here is the photo

Well I dont know how we didnt lock onto this earlier I guess when you look at many photos a day ......that would explain a lot misfiring .. incorrectly timed injection, incorrect amount of fuel .. all assuming the pumping members are running in the same defective channel on the lobes ... but if its the case .. your injection pump isnt centred properly so that the followers run evenly on the lobes, and thats why it wore heavily in the first place I suppose, but why the hell would that be ? the pump bolts straight on ? there is no lateral movement ? It should fit perfectly ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz;

Well I dont know how we didnt lock onto this earlier I guess when you look at many photos a day ......that would explain a lot misfiring .. incorrectly timed injection, incorrect amount of fuel .. all assuming the pumping members are running in the same defective channel on the lobes ... but if its the case .. your injection pump isnt centred properly so that the followers run evenly on the lobes, and thats why it wore heavily in the first place I suppose, but why the hell would that be ? the pump bolts straight on ? there is no lateral movement ? It should fit perfectly ?
                                I think the lobe damage was caused by the IP plungers turning in their cylinders, hence opposing the camshaft and causing destructive forces to nibble away at the lobe....all because of those tiny little pins in the IP wearing down. Those pins wearing down could have been caused by ineffective lubrication or operator failure to change the oil filter, or maybe a weak oil pump (possible but unlikely).
                                Opinions chaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X