Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo EC15B mini - engine removal & injection pump overhaul - plus ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so there was no No7 on the Injection pump shaft, but was there one on the valve gear shaft when you originally stripped that ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Ok so there was no No7 on the Injection pump shaft, but was there one on the valve gear shaft when you originally stripped that ?
      Yes, but without a washer - so ineffective for what it should have been doing. At the time of strip down I didn't know what to look for, but now.......
      Anyway, as far as the IP timing cam is concerned I've assumed it has been sweated onto the shaft but will keep an eye on the depth gauge - more details of that to follow with photos, in fact I'm 2 days ahead of this post so will make an effort in the morning to catch up.

Comment

• Engine Timing

Slip idler onto its shaft and line up the markings.jpg
        Slip the idler onto its stub axle and line up the markings as shown.

Timing idler thrust washer.jpg
        Slip the thrust washer on ready for the spring clip....

timing idler spring clip.jpg
        Circlip pliers are so much easier to use than the old screwdriver and scraped knuckles...

lay on the timing cover gasket and o-rings.jpg
        A few dabs of HT silicone will keep the timing cover gasket in-situ whilst laying on the timing cover itself. Be wary of not missing those 2 O-rings.

Lay on the timing cover.jpg
        Bolt up the timing cover evenly before inserting the oil pressure switch.....

Insert oil pressure switch.jpg
        I replaced the oil switch as an elimination before further testing of the 'electronic controls' later on.

Comment

• Injection Pump timing and shims

IP Shim Measuring.jpg
          Measure the shim for the correct size. I'll post the procedure later on when I get to a scanner.

Place shim and IP in-situ.jpg
          Install the IP pump [without sealant yet]

Temporary fuel connection.jpg
          Rig up the fuel system. I added a 12v battery to energise the Fuel lift pump.

Checking the IP output at TDC.jpgTiming Case and bottom pulley timing marks.jpg
          Observing the IP rotate the engine CW until you either observe Top Dead Centre on the bottom pulley markings or you 'feel' TDC by hand/eye. At TDC there should be a swell of fuel in the IP, in this case port no.2

Seal the IP timing gasket.jpg
          If the fuel is emitted too early then retard the pump by adding another shim, and vice-versa if the fuel delivery is too late.
          Now seal the shim and install the IP securely. There are no torque settings for this is my manual but I have already sheared 3 bolts so my advice is tight enough but not too tight.....

Connect IP fuel rail to Governor with tricksy little spring.jpg
          Connect the IP fuel rail to the Governor with a tricky little spring and then that is complete.

Onwards.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1327[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1329[/ATTACH]
            Observing the IP rotate the engine CW until you either observe Top Dead Centre on the bottom pulley markings or you 'feel' TDC by hand/eye. At TDC there should be a swell of fuel in the IP, in this case port no.2
            So cylinder two to set, and are you looking to align the case mark with which of the three on the pulley ?

I'd be wary of air ratcheting anything round there BTW
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
              So cylinder two to set, and are you looking to align the case mark with which of the three on the pulley ?
              Sorry Muz, it's misleading. I was doing cylinder 2 by feel and not using the timing case markings....and here's why:
              1. I had two conflicting workshop manuals showing different positions for TDC
              2. One of the manuals suggested the single mark was TDC for cylinder #1 but it was around 6 degrees late on my pulley.

More later...and some excellent news chaps.....

Comment

One of the manuals suggested the single mark was TDC for cylinder #1
                Normally thats the one

Comment

• Da da da daahhhhhhhhhh.........

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                  Normally thats the one
                  The other manual extract suggested the middle of the 3..........
                  So I went by feel...and guess what?......WHAT??? He started first time, ran totally clean and with full power - he turned on the spot and the revs stayed up under hydraulic services. We just came in absolutely delighted......however, I'll continue the thread in the morning with the rest of the photos to show the rest of the rebuild and my thoughts on how the problems started. The first thing I'm going to schedule in is a regular lifting of the PTO cover and check the position of the timing cam.

TBC.

Comment

The other manual extract suggested the middle of the 3..........
                    So I went by feel...and guess what?......WHAT??? He started first time, ran totally clean and with full power - he turned on the spot and the revs stayed up under hydraulic services. We just came in absolutely delighted......however, I'll continue the thread in the morning with the rest of the photos to show the rest of the rebuild and my thoughts on how the problems started. The first thing I'm going to schedule in is a regular lifting of the PTO cover and check the position of the timing cam.

TBC.
                    Great news Jack keep us posted

Comment

• Thats Great to hear Jack .
                      Now get out there and dig some dirt .

Comment

• Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                        Thats Great to hear Jack .
                        Now get out there and dig some dirt .
                        ...thanks Ian!

Right, onwards with the rebuild....

The photos are in order of re-assembly and the text description is the title of the photo.....

Attach end seal and gasket .jpg

lay on starter mouter bracketvend plate.jpg

bolt starter motor plate up.jpg

attach and bolt up flywheel.jpg

install first part of flexible coupling.jpg

drop rubber coupling into place.jpg

place flywheel cover in position.jpg

bolt up flywheel cover.jpg

install hydraulic pump.jpg

Comment

• Blue gloves must be breeding over there ,Muz has them too .

Comment

• Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                            Blue gloves must be breeding over there ,Muz has them too .
                            No Ian.....Muz has got my blue gloves......

Onwards..

Insert Engine stop solenoid.jpg

Stop solenoid should be tightened up once it is in the right depth.jpg

IP to governor spring.jpg

IP timing camshaft depth gauge check 1.jpg
                            Underneath the Power Take Off [PTO] cover is access to the end of the IP timing camshaft.
                            The PTO is not really useful in this installation of a mini digger but its going to be useful to keep an eye on that bloomin' camshaft's possible drift.
                            If anyone has an E15 and has 5 minutes spare then I heartily recommend you check this. My camshaft is 9.8mm in from the engine casing...see next photo..

IP timing camshaft depth gauge check 2.jpg

insert the 6 pushrod cam thingies.jpg

Lay the head gasket on and ensure the holes are all aligned.jpg

Lay the cylinder head on gently - do not force-it will nest down under its own weight.jpg

Voila...jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1348[/ATTACH]
                              Underneath the Power Take Off [PTO] cover is access to the end of the IP timing camshaft.
                              The PTO is not really useful in this installation of a mini digger but its going to be useful to keep an eye on that bloomin' camshaft's possible drift.
                              If anyone has an E15 and has 5 minutes spare then I heartily recommend you check this. My camshaft is 9.8mm in from the engine casing...see next photo..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1347[/ATTACH]
                              Wow top quality help and input Jack, excellent commentary, and , reading this last post as I read them all, may be the most important for some if they experience the same difficulties you did glad she/ ahem he is now running fine

My next question is ........ whats your next project? we all want to know?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                My next question is ........ whats your next project? we all want to know?
                                Thanks Dan, and I'll add to your blue glove thread tomorrow..

So, the next project?

1. There is the "Dance of Delight" that my much, much better half captured on Video last night after Doug started first time. I'll post that for derisive comments....but Dan, I don't care...it works!,,,
                                2. The microhydro project is Doug dependent...so we'll be cracking on with that ASAP.
                                3. There is no 3

More to follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X