No announcement yet.

Main casting of my JCB 8018 Broken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe make the claim Jim and up grade the machine, the repair looks like a very job to me and shouldn't give any more trouble.............
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Yeah ... agree on both counts ... that should fix it and take the bending moment off the pinion causing the failure
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

..please excuse my ignorance...

Hello Jim, if you get a minute could you add a photo from a couple of metres away from your machine as I'm having difficulty placing where the problem lies.
        Also, is your Blacksmith a traditional blacksmith as in forge and tongs or is he a modern master of machining, welding etc. [I was going to ask if he was a farrier type blacksmith but that might appear too ignorant........]

J

Comment

Right jack, the first picture shows the new tie bar support thingy going on top of the pin that holds in the ram for the side shift of the dipper that's where the problem lies as its the JCB casting that broke! D you know where I mean?

Comment

ahh, yes, so your smithy added that extra support above the stay to totally counteract the bending moment as Muz said. Apologies for being slow in the uptake. Nice welding. I'm looking at a photo of 'your' machine from the intraweb - very pretty on the eye.

jcb-8018.jpg

Comment

Hi Jim, how is the repair holding up? Is the machine getting much work?

Comment

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
                Hi Jim, how is the repair holding up? Is the machine getting much work?
                Hello sir,

The repair is holding up just great! Really contemplating trading it in in September as I will be 2 years into a 3 year agreement but will wait and see. The digger gets loads of work and I have a bug job coming off soon and it will be working pretty much full time for a month!

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
                  The digger gets loads of work and I have a bug job coming off soon
                  Cool fill us in then Jim .. you JCB entomologist
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hello sir,

The repair is holding up just great! Really contemplating trading it in in September as I will be 2 years into a 3 year agreement but will wait and see. The digger gets loads of work and I have a bug job coming off soon and it will be working pretty much full time for a month!
                    Excellent-really pleased for you
                    Have you sprayed the repair now you know it's holding?

Comment

No not sprayed it out of sight and out of mind and all that!

Comment

No not sprayed it out of sight and out of mind and all that!
                        ....why, you rogue, you..you.....you......Maverick!.........

Comment

Got to say mine is late 2007 and exactly the same broke on mine, been welded 3 times now, last one has lasted 1500hrs and still going, this is a design fault the machine has paid for itself 3 times over, few sets track idler bearings, has to weld the hinges few times the cab tilts on, few sets of door windows, rubbish design, all they need is pins whereby you can lift the door off in hot weather, if now got a leak from between the valve, evidently an O ring, JCB want £450 for a set to recondition whole block, can't buy separately, does anyone know the size, thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X