No announcement yet.

Nobodys railroad adventures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks cool ... I bought a 391 ... 24" bar that I was never that impressed with a couple of years ago. I had an old Makita (a branded Dolmar) that would eat it for breakfast of the same size. I always felt the bar geometry and track width was wrong on it since the day I bought it, anyway , I persisted with it until the bar got worn. Decided to finally chuck/change the bar and put on a new chain and its been brilliant ever since. I rekon it had the wrong spec of bar on it, or the track was somehow too wide for the chain, so it would never cut straight, and lost power. Ever since I rebarred it and rechained it .. it cuts as straight as a die, and Ive noticed the chain stays sharper much longer too .. And that was a Stihl straight out of the box too .. quite surprising and kinda dented my view of what was a premium brand until I fixed it
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
      Oh! And side covers is a magnesium alloy, die casted
      congrats on new Stihl. I have the same perverted hobby as well. Cut trees but with a bit older Stihl -261. I have used it for several years now and like it a lot. Starts easily and there's a lot if power in it. The rest of the gear is also Stihl: -490 and -260 + -241. The 241 is great for cobstruction work. Never seen a chainsaw that starts on single stroke -everytime.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Pffffft, should of bought a 560!

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
            Looks cool ... I bought a 391 ... 24" bar that I was never that impressed with a couple of years ago. I had an old Makita (a branded Dolmar) that would eat it for breakfast of the same size. I always felt the bar geometry and track width was wrong on it since the day I bought it, anyway , I persisted with it until the bar got worn. Decided to finally chuck/change the bar and put on a new chain and its been brilliant ever since. I rekon it had the wrong spec of bar on it, or the track was somehow too wide for the chain, so it would never cut straight, and lost power. Ever since I rebarred it and rechained it .. it cuts as straight as a die, and Ive noticed the chain stays sharper much longer too .. And that was a Stihl straight out of the box too .. quite surprising and kinda dented my view of what was a premium brand until I fixed it
            That sure was wierd! Do you recall if it was 3/8 on it, and you probably changed to .325? Personally I wouldn't run 3/8 on anything less than 70cc, but would've thought the 391 could handle it

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
            congrats on new Stihl. I have the same perverted hobby as well. Cut trees but with a bit older Stihl -261. I have used it for several years now and like it a lot. Starts easily and there's a lot if power in it. The rest of the gear is also Stihl: -490 and -260 + -241. The 241 is great for cobstruction work. Never seen a chainsaw that starts on single stroke -everytime.
            Thanks do you climb also?
            Mostly stihl here also now after the 261 replaced a husky 51. Also got one of them echo top saws, surprised and impressed this far

Originally posted by fairmer View Post
            Pffffft, should of bought a 560!
            Pfft! 661 baby ;) Runs 28" like it's nothing!

Comment

That sure was wierd! Do you recall if it was 3/8 on it, and you probably changed to .325? Personally I wouldn't run 3/8 on anything less than 70cc, but would've thought the 391 could handle it

Thanks do you climb also?
              Mostly stihl here also now after the 261 replaced a husky 51. Also got one of them echo top saws, surprised and impressed this far

Pfft! 661 baby ;) Runs 28" like it's nothing!
              Great! Have climbed only once, haven't had that kind of jobs. Normally move on ground with -490 and do some firewood with the -261. Have so limited time for hobbies .

Comment

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
                Great! Have climbed only once, haven't had that kind of jobs. Normally move on ground with -490 and do some firewood with the -261. Have so limited time for hobbies .
                I'm most comfortable on the ground too Got the kit, but would rather do forestry all day than hanging off ropes same here, but atleast it's a hobby wich gets me moving once in a while!

Comment

What i've been doing lately.. I'ts been quiet for us after christmas, but sh** is about to hit the fan

Comment

My collection of saws all on 3/8 chain....................

My big husky at work, jeesus I was thin then...........................this was after 2014 storm..................
                    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Nice collection you got there! and some serious wood next saw's gonna be a husky for sure! Only reason i got another stihl this time was because of a huge sale near by..
                      But.. what do you think about them Oregon bars Stock?

Comment

Nice collection you got there! and some serious wood next saw's gonna be a husky for sure! Only reason i got another stihl this time was because of a huge sale near by..
                        But.. what do you think about them Oregon bars Stock?
                        Fine better than a Carlton but not a Sugi Hara................................

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
                          Fine better than a Carlton but not a Sugi Hara................................
                          Always felt too damn soft to me.. atleast compared to stihl bars.. Never tried Sugi Hara, but do run Cannon on my top handle saw.. comparable?

Comment

my lil' 'Charlie' .... been a real good saw and had it years .... Oregon bars for me

WP_20150714_19_16_58_Pro (1).jpg

WP_20150714_19_16_58_Pro.jpg

that is some collection Stock
                            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                              my lil' 'Charlie' .... been a real good saw and had it years .... Oregon bars for me

that is some collection Stock
                              Need them to keep An Tighe (Y ty) warm............................. 'tis a cold spot the Emerald kingdom ..................least ways that what the Boss keeps telling Junior and myself..........................................

Comment

Was on a job today working for a timber contractor who had just bought some new huskies ... those saws were revving their nuts off doing snedding work
                                Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
                                X